Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallie

Reaction score
Queensland Brewers,

On the back of two consecutive Champion State titles, this year we're going for the hat trick!

Announcing the key dates for the 2014 QABC competition:
Entry cut-off date: 13th September by 1pm
Judging: 27/28th September

The QABC is a BJCP registered competition and is the state's qualifying competition for the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship that takes place on 16th October in Canberra to coincide with ANHC 4.

The QABC website is still in the process of being updated, however, I can confirm there are no major changes to the procedure of entering. This includes the requirement of entering a second bottle, which will be forwarded on your behalf to the AABC should it qualify. The QABC will once again be covering the cost of those entry fees to the national competition.

One major change to the competition itself is the trial inclusion of Cider & Mead categories. The relevant categories can be found on the AABC website.

Sponsors and prizes are still being locked in, but at this stage, I can confirm that Craftbrewer are on board again with providing the all-important cold storage space for the lead up to the competition. I'm also excited to announce a new partnering with Little Creatures, who among other things will be supplying the judging venue, food during the judging sessions and a major prize.

I'll update this thread once the QABC website is up to date.

Now that the national trophy has gotten used to the warm weather in QLD, it wants to stay up here, so start planning and brewing those champion beers!

Cheers and good luck,

Kris Domagala
QAAWBG Chief Steward Beer - Qld Amateur Brewing Championships 2014

Hopefully I will overcome my laziness and submit a few entries this year.

In your dreams

origin.jpg

:p

Hey all,

I've finally pulled my finger out and sorted the final bits and bobs to get the new site up. It will take a while for the domain delegation and dns to propagate (read: magic stuff happens but it takes a bit of time). Over the next couple of days qabc.org.au should start showing the new version of the site (or break completely).

For anyone technical that wants to take a sneak peakadd this to your hosts file: 54.231.252.2 qabc.org.au

There's still a lot of content missing and it hasn't had it's makeup put on yet but you'll hopefully be glad to know it's a responsive site so you should be able to view it correctly on phone/tablet/pc/whatever tech you've got.... Alex can probably read it on his brewtroller

If anyone notices any issues (other than still seeing the old site in the next few days) please let me know (on here or via the webmaster email address for BABBs)

Cheers,

Ed

I'll be entering for the first time. Will be taking a few of my entry along to our local club meeting the week before for critique. Most likely a double IPA and a belgian dark strong. Maybe an APA as well.

Cheers!

More sponsors have been locked in; Cryer Malt will once again be supplying a sack of Barrett Burston Pale Malt as first prize for the 18 Beer categories, and Wyeast will be supplying Direct Pitch Activator packs as 1st, 2nd & 3rd prizes for all categories.

Rounding out the prizes so far are Brewers Choice who will be supplying 2nd place store vouchers for all categories as well as the 1st place prize for the Cider category.

Brewer of the Champion Beer will receive dinner and drinks for 2 at the soon to be open Charming Squire Brewbar in Brisbane courtesy of James Squire.

And thanks to the Australian National Homebrew Conference, the Champion Brewer will receive a full package to this year's conference. Return economy flights and accommodation will be provided by the QABC.

Two months to brew and get your entries ready - what are you waiting for!

Completing this year's sponsors & prizes is Craft, who are providing a bulk honey package to the winner of the Mead category.

If you happen to be dealing with any of our great sponsors this year and you think of it, let them know you appreciate their support.

In the coming weeks I will be putting out the call for judges & stewards to help out on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th September at Milton, Brisbane. Please save the date in the meantime.

Six weeks left to brew!

Got my first comp beer bottled and aging to be awesome by then. 2nd in the fermenter at the moment. 3rd to be brewed on sunday.

manson81 said:
Got my first comp beer bottled and aging to be awesome by then. 2nd in the fermenter at the moment. 3rd to be brewed on sunday.
Should have gone into the beer lotto - would have got some feedback prior to the comp.

Bribie G said:
Still time to brew for NSW Castle Hill.
Time for the perfect year? State of origin, tahs to whack the crusaders tomorrow, swans to win the AFL grand final and NSW to take out the AABC

Call for Judges & Stewards:

The 2014 Queensland Amateur Brewing Championship will be held over the weekend of 27/28th September at the XXXX Taproom, Cnr Black and Paten Streets, Milton.

The competition is a Beer Judge Certification Program sanctioned event (http://bjcp.org), offering experience points for those who have taken or plan to take the BJCP exam. Beers will be judged against the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship guidelines (http://www.aabc.org.au/) using the standard BJCP scoresheet.

The QABC is the qualifying state competition to the AABC. Queensland has taken out Champion State for the last two years and with your help we are going for the hat trick.

We are looking for Judges and Stewards of all levels of experience from within the homebrewing and professional beer community to assist us with the competition. This will be an excellent opportunity to see what is involved behind the scenes of a major amateur competition. Please note that the BJCP system is very self explanatory and guidance for each style is available while you are tasting. Judges with lesser experience will be paired with someone who is familiar with the system for further guidance.

With two full days of judging we are hoping that this year's competition will a bit less rushed, although going by last year's numbers there will still be a lot of beers to get through. Each day will be split into a morning and afternoon session with lunch provided. We request judges and stewards arrive at 8am for an 8:30 start, and each day should finish up by 5pm at the latest.

For ease of scheduling and assigning judges to categories, it is preferable for judges to be available for whole sessions (if not whole days), however, we value the inclusion of as many helpers as possible and will do our best to accommodate where we can.

In addition to lunch, all materials will be provided for judges and stewards on the day and there will be plenty of great beer.

Please let me know by 1st September if you are able to assist with any of the sessions over the weekend of the 27/28th September by emailing [email protected]. Please indicate the days and sessions you are available for, and whether you have any preference for judging a particular style (keeping in mind that entrants cannot judge a category they have entered in).

More information about the competition is available at: http://www.qabc.org.au/

This is a great event for engaging with like-minded brewers and tasting a wide range of beers of varying interpretations on the styles. We hope that you will be able to join us!

Don't forget, there's just under 5 weeks now until entries are due; there's still time!

Hi Tallie,

Thinking about entering this, just curious on if the judges review is provided back to the brewer? I'd like to see some feedback as I only have a 90% chance of coming in 1st ;)

jatterbury said:
Thinking about entering this, just curious on if the judges review is provided back to the brewer? I'd like to see some feedback as I only have a 90% chance of coming in 1st ;)
Yes, entrants receive 2 BJCP scoresheets of feedback for each entry.

Latest posts

Back