Qld Ahb Xmas Case 2005 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoops said:
sluggerdog said:
Here's something else I remember, batz, how much smoked malt was in the porter? my mates loved it but it was too much for me, saying that if it had around half the amount I'm sure I would have loved it as much as the other comments on here about it...
[post="97851"][/post]​
Funny you should say that, from memory that porter only had half the smoked malt of the other one I tried at Batz brew day.
Personally I prefered the one with double the smoked malt!
[post="97859"][/post]​

I won't say how much was in that :blink:

You have to try it for yourself , I will say start @ 150gm , you'll get the idea from there.

I made one one with 3 times the smoke than the xmas case , I liked it but others told me they could taste the bacon in it.
Became a breccy beer after nightshift :super:

Batz

join me too with wheat beer they are not a beer im too keen on

Thigh Slapping EPA

6.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 92.3 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
28.30 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (80 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
28.30 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
28.30 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
14.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
14.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Dont mean to hijack again but ... Jye - why do have your malts set up in SRM? Malt is sold in Aus as EBC and it makes it easier to swap recipes if it is standardised. Surely to do recipes in SRM you have had to convert everything over?

Dont mean to hijack again but ... Jye - why do have your malts set up in SRM? Malt is sold in Aus as EBC and it makes it easier to swap recipes if it is standardised. Surely to do recipes in SRM you have had to convert everything over?

I changed them over when I was playing around with a few recipes I found... I will change them back now after a good shaming ;)

Oh yes Hoops.
What you guys had here on the brew day was twice the smoked grain bill ,compared with the xams case

batz

Jye said:

I changed them over when I was playing around with a few recipes I found... I will change them back now after a good shaming ;)
[post="97881"][/post]​

Always done mine in SRM also - never given it any thought :) ...

Don't make me come over there and shame you too. Lets standardise people! Hijack over.

Hoops said:
I never used to like wheat beers until last xmas when I was trying a few different ones with barfridge in Perth, never tasted so much bubblegum in a beer!!
Since then I have gradually changed my tastes and really like the Wits.
Now Hoegaarden is one of my favourite beers :beer:

Hoops
[post="97850"][/post]​

I'm a big fan of lolly banana wheat beers. I see them as big dumb fun :)

AndrewQLD said:
Sipping on Snows hefewiezen as I type:

Snows Hefewiezen:
This is another nice beer, although slightly darker than I anticipated, definate spicyness with clove dominating and slight banana tones in the finish. fantastic head that is light & rocky that lasts and lasts. Malt evident in the mouth but not in the aroma. Hops are a little overpowering I think Snow IMHO, a little too bitter, the bitterness sort of overpowers the clove and banana. Finishes nice and dry in the mouth which is lovelly. I like this beer very much and wish I had another bottle (hint, Hint). :) I think I will go and have the last out of the jug, Yumm I love Heffewiezen. Hope the recipe is up on the board.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="97836"][/post]​
Thanks Andrew - nice comments. It is indeed a little too bitter. I found out after I'd brewed it that the hops I'd bought from the HBS had gone up 3%AA since the last time I'd bought them and the bugger didn't have them labelled, si I didn't know. I always ask, now..... <_<

Cheers - Snow

Batz's Altbier

Quite carbonated - had to wait a while for the head tyo settle down. beautiful dark amber colour and perfectly clear (Batz, how do you do that?). Very nice malt aroma and flavour with perfect balance of bitterness. Slightly sweeter than I expected, but then again I've never had an Alt before. The finishing dryness was very refreshing. A very professional beer with lots of flavour that I could drink all day - well done batz!! :beer:

Cheers - Snow

ps - the more people that don't like wheat beer the better - more for me! :D

Snow said:
Batz's Altbier

perfectly clear (Batz, how do you do that?).

[post="97939"][/post]​

I never have anything but clear beers now Snow , I think it's a combination of a few things.

I recirculate may mash
I mash in at around 62c , then over the next 60 min. raise the temp. to 70c. , then sparge
I use whilfloc

The Alt was J.W. malt , Porter was Powells

Batz

Batz said:
Batz 'Three Moons' smoked porter

3.75 kg Powells ale malt
1.5 kg Hoepfner Rauch (smoked malt)
0.45 gm Pale Crystal
0.40 gm Powells Wheat
0.30 gm Choclate Malt

90 Min boil

@ 30 min 15gm Northern Brewer
@60 min 10 gm Goldings
@85 min 10gm Goldings

OG 1.074
FG 1.019

You will need to adjust the smoked malt as per it's freshness , quick sniff and taste will let you judge the smoke flavour.

Cheers Batz
[post="96316"][/post]​

Hey Batz, what yeast did you use in this?

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
Batz said:

3.75 kg Powells ale malt
0.45 gm Pale Crystal
0.40 gm Powells Wheat
0.30 gm Choclate Malt

90 Min boil

@60 min 10 gm Goldings
@85 min 10gm Goldings

OG 1.074
FG 1.019

You will need to adjust the smoked malt as per it's freshness , quick sniff and taste will let you judge the smoke flavour.

Cheers Batz
[post="96316"][/post]​

Cheers - Snow
[post="98011"][/post]​

Nottingham dried yeast , same as the ALT.

I really like this yeast , thanks TDA for pointing me in it's direction.

I like it because I seem to be able to brew a beer of my choice , without the yeast getting in the way.

So it's a nice clean yeast , you had the flavour.

Batz

i agree batz i love nottigham yeast sorry for the hijack

BUGGER - Missed Mothballs comment that his porter had only just been bottled - been sat in the fridge since the swap day...

Poured a flat, sweet beer last night :( - Any others besides Hoops, Nonicman & Mothballs that need waiting for??

Switched to port after that...

cheers Ross

AndrewQLD - Belgian Wit

This is another wheat beer I have thoroughly enjoyed, even thou I only got half the glass since the better half who doesnt drink beer has taken a liking to wheat beers...that reminds me, I must hide the other bottle <_<

This beer was nice and crisp in flavour which was perfect for a hot summers day relaxing after brewing. Golden in colour and slightly cloudy with great carbonation, those bubbles just kept coming. The only trouble I had with it was trying to pour the bugger, I kept getting half a glass of foam. I will have to wait until the missus is at work before I crack the other bottle.

Cheers :beer:

Still saving mine for Christmas Day onwards. Can't wait to enjoy all those great beers.
Seven sleeps to go. :beerbang:
Anticipation adds to the enjoyment. :super:

:beer:

Batz said:
Snow said:
Batz said:

3.75 kg Powells ale malt
0.45 gm Pale Crystal
0.40 gm Powells Wheat
0.30 gm Choclate Malt

90 Min boil

@60 min 10 gm Goldings
@85 min 10gm Goldings

OG 1.074
FG 1.019

Cheers Batz
[post="96316"][/post]​

Cheers - Snow
[post="98011"][/post]​

I like it because I seem to be able to brew a beer of my choice , without the yeast getting in the way.

Batz
[post="98040"][/post]​

Thanks Batz. I think I'll use Whitelabs California V, which is a nice clean yeast that flocs well.

Another thing - when I put your recipe through Qbrew, the IBUs come up as 17, which seems a bit low for a robust porter. I don't remember your porter being that mild in bitterness. Can you remember what IBUs you would have gotten with the amount of hops you used?

Cheers - Snow

Snow said:
Batz said:
Snow said:
Batz said:

3.75 kg Powells ale malt
0.45 gm Pale Crystal
0.40 gm Powells Wheat
0.30 gm Choclate Malt

90 Min boil

@60 min 10 gm Goldings
@85 min 10gm Goldings

OG 1.074
FG 1.019

Cheers Batz
[post="96316"][/post]​

Cheers - Snow
[post="98011"][/post]​

Batz
[post="98040"][/post]​

Thanks Batz. I think I'll use Whitelabs California V, which is a nice clean yeast that flocs well.

Another thing - when I put your recipe through Qbrew, the IBUs come up as 17, which seems a bit low for a robust porter. I don't remember your porter being that mild in bitterness. Can you remember what IBUs you would have gotten with the amount of hops you used?

Cheers - Snow
[post="98663"][/post]​

Yep 17

Batz

Back