Purging bucket and bottles with Argon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The inner geek is thinking you should have bottled a couple without purging or squeesing to get O2 out of the head space, then later you compare to the purged/squeesed bottles.
You can see a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottles, sort of indicates you may have bottled a bit early.
There are lots of causes of haze/turbidity in beer - mainly - yeast, protein, carbohydrate, infections, chill haze, hop oils...
You are at a bit of a disadvantage with your home malted grain, its unlikely you have as good a modification of both protein and carbohydrates as is achieved in commercially made malts. If you did very intensive stepped mashing or decoction you could work around that to some extent.
A longer cold conditioning would have given a fair wack of what's in solution a chance to fall out giving you clearer beer.
Mark

Kadmium
Don't worry about S.E I have pretty much given up trying to get through to him. Have seen his posts, just CBA replying. We clearly aren't going to agree, so not much point.
M

No DIY malt in this beer - 5kg Coopers Pale malt, 0.75kg rolled oats, 0.75 raw wheat (feed).

I wasn't really aiming for a clear beer with this style, but was hoping for a more orange colour.

In hindsight I likely rushed it a bit, but I was fearful of oxidisation. It was only 4 days from pitching yeast to bottling, probably because I don't have proper temp control yet - only heat control. If I had of left it out of my fermentation chamber overnight, the frosts (yes, summer in Tassie!) of a few nights ago could have slowed it down a bit. I probably should have also cold-crashed for 24hrs and bottled it tonight instead.

But it tastes great at the moment! If I just drink out of the stubbies I won't notice the colour 😁

The colour will change a lot when the haze drops out, but yes that is rushing it a bit.
If you want a more Golden Hue a little, say 3-5% Carramalt (the UK ones are good, as is CarraHell, third for me would be the Au Carramalt) all give a golden hue (Orange I cant help you there...)
Mark

Don't worry about S.E I have pretty much given up trying to get through to him. Have seen his posts, just CBA replying. We clearly aren't going to agree, so not much point.
Mark, it is fine by me if you CBA to respond but would you also please do me the courtesy of not butting in and telling me I am wrong when I am responding to other members and providing the correct information.

Don’t you see that it is pretty rude that you keep butting in whenever BIAB is mentioned telling me it is a recent innovation?

We keep going around in circles on the BIAB subject:

You always butt in and tell me I’m wrong because you had never heard of the method until it was developed on this forum and “invite me to provide evidence to the contrary”

I provide the detailed evidence, pictures and extracts from well known HB books dating back to the sixties and then you refuse to respond and acknowledge the evidence or CBA so the discussion always ends at that.

Then a year or so later you start off again making the same claim and telling me I’m wrong again which I find a bit annoying.

When I get time I will find all the BIAB info I have and start a tread so I can refer you to it next time you ask me to provide evidence and we don’t keep going OT in other threads.

In the mean time go and re read the Graham Wheeler Home brewing book you said you have as it describes Mashing using a grain bag and boiler in chapter 19 Home Brewing Equipment.

Last edited:
Look FFS I have said numerous times that there were forms of mashing similar to BIAB.
With the qualifier that (the but) they weren't existent here, nor were they being talked about anywhere else.
Nor did you pipe up at the time and say, yes this idea will work, its been done for years see here and here...

BIAB as we know it was developed here, independently, to the best of my knowledge without reference to any other process. As a consequence there are significant differences between the two approaches.
Further, that development was in no small part in response to the Introduction of single vessel systems namely the Braumeister that I was selling. In an attempt to come up with a lower cost single vessel system.

Go and google "who invented BIAB"
Personally I give a lot more recognition to the methods in Dave Line and Wheelers work than anyone you are likely to find in that or a similar search.
Unfortunately you are about the only person that cant get that through their head.
I am pretty sick of you butting into random threads and explaining one more time that it couldn't have happened the way I and effectively everyone except you thinks. You are calling me either ignorant or a liar, and I'm over it, I stopped responding to your posts because I'm finding it increasingly difficult to put up with you being rude and insulting, without retaliating in kind.

I have stated what I believe happened, in the way it happened. I will continue to do so. If you feel so inclined please do start a new thread on the subject, where I suspect it wont get noticed much because you are the only one who cares.
Mark

Look FFS I have said numerous times that there were forms of mashing similar to BIAB.
With the qualifier that (the but) they weren't existent here, nor were they being talked about anywhere else.
Nor did you pipe up at the time and say, yes this idea will work, its been done for years see here and here...

BIAB as we know it was developed here, independently, to the best of my knowledge without reference to any other process. As a consequence there are significant differences between the two approaches.
Further, that development was in no small part in response to the Introduction of single vessel systems namely the Braumeister that I was selling. In an attempt to come up with a lower cost single vessel system.

Go and google "who invented BIAB"
Personally I give a lot more recognition to the methods in Dave Line and Wheelers work than anyone you are likely to find in that or a similar search.
Unfortunately you are about the only person that cant get that through their head.
I am pretty sick of you butting into random threads and explaining one more time that it couldn't have happened the way I and effectively everyone except you thinks. You are calling me either ignorant or a liar, and I'm over it, I stopped responding to your posts because I'm finding it increasingly difficult to put up with you being rude and insulting, without retaliating in kind.

I have stated what I believe happened, in the way it happened. I will continue to do so. If you feel so inclined please do start a new thread on the subject, where I suspect it wont get noticed much because you are the only one who cares.
Mark
If you don’t want to keep resurrecting the discussion then simply don’t keep telling me I’m wrong when I respond to other members.

If you take a look at the last tread you butted in on all I said was “Most home brewers in the sixties, seventies and in to the eighties only had simple BIAB breweries available for purchase from the LHBS not usually chillers or cubes”.

That is a fact whether you like it or not. The fact that even BIAB was not available from Austrailian HBS does not mean it was not used or was later invented here. Other members have told us their fathers brewed here in AU with BIAB in the sixties so presumably made their own.

Let’s just leave it at that. Please don’t intervene again if I am discussing it with others.

Tried one this arvo and still a little while away. Only a tiny hiss on opening, but it tastes even better than when I bottled. Thankfully the BO smell I got then has gone...

20210124_161435.jpg

Latest posts

Back