Purex Stainless Steel Pool Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorco

Reaction score
I was driving along and noticed on the side of the road a fermenter like object in shiny stainless steel. I had no idea what I was really looking at so I grabbed it.

This is it
http://www.aqua-man.com/schematic.asp?kc=S1749

I've been passed a sleeping baby so I'll take a photo later. It's definitely clean.

For a pool application the steel should be decent. There is a big brass valve body at the bottom so needs some thinking to really convert this thing.

Has anyone taken this pool filter approach before?

I'm not skilled enough with TIG process to play around with it so open to others taking this forward.

Edit: avoiding misinterpretation. The baby is clean ........at the moment.:)

Ok, going free one stainless steel pool filter as above!

I'll take to the tip on Saturday unless it is taken.

True
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463004648.190424.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463004681.575389.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1463004701.222988.jpg

Looks fermenter-esque to me.

So really you were just driving along and went "Ohh shiny thing", stopped, and grabbed it. [emoji6]

"Hi. My name is zorsoc and I have a Stainless Steel addiction."

Everyone: "Hello, zorsoc"

Do you mean you don't understand that! I thought addiction to bling came with the territory.
Mark

MHB said:
Do you mean you don't understand that! I thought addiction to bling came with the territory.
Mark
Especially when it's free or as cheap as humanly possible.

I've got a Stainless bag filter, fine enough to hop-back pellets, rigged it up so it can be blown dry with CO2.
Works very well, sort of like this one
s-l225.jpg
Mark

Gents, I've had a project issue at work and am away for a week or more. Will suspend this convo until I get back.....

Maybe I should attend 'groups' for project management punishment...and recovery skills.

sold i'll take it :)

unless yob is shipping it ?

i have workshop so you can retract the "sale" and maybe we can mod it if you want to keep :)

MHB said:
I've got a Stainless bag filter, fine enough to hop-back pellets, rigged it up so it can be blown dry with CO2.
Works very well, sort of like this one
attachicon.gif
s-l225.jpg
Mark
Hi Mark,
what mesh size do you use to filter out pellets? I'm planning on using 2 300x300 sheets of mesh folded on the edges to make a strainer on the bottom of my kettle along the lines of the Electric Brewery in Canada. I was thinking 40 mesh, would that work or is there a better size?
Dave

Hi all,

I'm back on deck this weekend. Hop back? What scale of brewing are you used to Yob?

I'm at risk of showing ignorance if Yob owns like, massive brewing company x, and I hadn't picked it up yet.

Maheel, I am retracting for now. I think with the tension of work last week I've overlooked a thing or two.

Are you nearby? Would be good to share a beer and an idea with you.

dblunn said:
Hi Mark,
what mesh size do you use to filter out pellets? I'm planning on using 2 300x300 sheets of mesh folded on the edges to make a strainer on the bottom of my kettle along the lines of the Electric Brewery in Canada. I was thinking 40 mesh, would that work or is there a better size?
Dave
20um bag filter with a filter aid made of perlite added later in the process.
Was using it to reduce the trub in gluten free worts. It doesn't remove all the break material, for that I was sending it to a small centrifuge/bowl clarifier which was quickly overloading without the prefiltration, still had to stop and empty the bowl 2-3 times on 100L batches.

Removing hop debris is easy. I don't believe it is possible to remove enough of the break material by straining for it to be worth the effort. Normal brewery process is to whirlpool and leave a little wort behind, it amounts to around 5% in newer more advanced breweries and up to 10% for older/smaller/home systems. I have a lot of trouble understanding why people don't just accept the loss as part of the cost of doing business.
Mark

MHB said:
20um bag filter with a filter aid made of perlite added later in the process.
Was using it to reduce the trub in gluten free worts. It doesn't remove all the break material, for that I was sending it to a small centrifuge/bowl clarifier which was quickly overloading without the prefiltration, still had to stop and empty the bowl 2-3 times on 100L batches.

Removing hop debris is easy. I don't believe it is possible to remove enough of the break material by straining for it to be worth the effort. Normal brewery process is to whirlpool and leave a little wort behind, it amounts to around 5% in newer more advanced breweries and up to 10% for older/smaller/home systems. I have a lot of trouble understanding why people don't just accept the loss as part of the cost of doing business.
Mark
Thanks Mark,
I am not worried about the cold break, I just want to use pellet hops and a plate chiller so I just need to remove any sizeable particulates before they reach the chiller. I currently whirlpool but I would like a more reliable (low clogging) method. The Canadian mob use a large strainer in the bottom of the kettle and just pump through that without whirlpooling. The other issue is with the new kettle I will have two heating elements that may impede the effectiveness of the whirlpool.
Do you believe the elements will significantly affect the whirlpool requiring an alternate approach for kettle trub removal?
Regards, Dave

Latest posts

Back