Pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keng11,

Do you run HOT fluids thru it??

Hi all,

Used the Idra when I brewed on Saturday. It worked fine although I have to get some heat tolerant food grade hoses, anyone know of any? I didn't actually get around to sitting it in a water bath and it worked fine for the 20 odd litres I pumped. I actually was recirculting this volume through my chilling setup so I'm not sure how much I pumpped but as I said once I had the kinks in the very floppy hot hose straightened out it worked well.

In hot wort applications you really want silicone hose. You can get quite thick walled stuff that doesn't collapse too easily (as long as it's not hanging under it's own weight off the barb fitting full of wort). It's not cheap, but I have a 5 foot length and I love it, wish I had more. I got mine from morebeer.

Otherwise you could go for reinforced PVC tubing (looks like clear garden hose). Apparently PVC is only rated to 70 odd degrees, but a hell of a lot cheaper. ANyway, your choice.

Cheers, JD

Hi keng 11,

I am keeping the pump i have with the thought that it may find a place in the brewery, circulating coolant for the chiller or maybe even a flooded font.

There was a guy on the Grumpys forum quite a while ago that said he used a washing machine pump with success for pumping hot wort although I can't see how he kept it cool because they are not submersible as is the Idra.

As with all aspects of brewing, there is always more than one way to do things.

Cheers

Gday Linz & dicko et all,
the cooling water I run through the washing machine pump does get quite hot & as I said in the last post it runs for about five hours non stop & the flow is controlled with a ball valve so it is working against resistance all the time as well as being quite hot.

Latest posts

Back