Pump Information Needed For New Micro Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchjazz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I work for an irrigation pump store in griffith nsw and one of our local wineries is in the process of making a brewery. They have come to me to find a pump thye can use for beer doing around 40 liters a minute at abour 20 mtrs. They also want to be able to use acid through this pump to clean. Any info would be much aprreciated. If you need any more information let me know.

Hi Mitch,

Those specs are probably a bit above and beyond what most homebrewers on here would use.

The most common pump we deal with at this level is the March pump. Good because it is food grade, handles boiling liquid and has a magnetic coupling (makes for easy cleaning and flow throttling).

Cheers SJ

I think the first choice would be a lobe pump powered by a variable speed controlled 3 phase motor, there are lots of good stainless food grade centripetals out there that would do the job but the lobe pump is the nuts.
Talk to Process Pumps, I know they can sort you out but no doubt there are plenty of other pump dealers out there who can to.
MHB

I would suggest a Bredel Pump (peristaltic pump). Something around 25-32mm hose diameter should give the flow and pressure required. being positive displacement, you can use a variable speed drive to slow it down.

I believe that you want an EPDM lined pump ( I am sure that they want something food grade). As for the rating every pump comes with a rating chart. You want to find a pump where the specifications fall about the middle of the curve. As for Chemical cleaning, we are dosing thes EPDM liners at work with HCL to get them ready for drinkable water to pass through them.

Hey guys, I work for an irrigation pump store in griffith nsw and one of our local wineries is in the process of making a brewery. They have come to me to find a pump thye can use for beer doing around 40 liters a minute at abour 20 mtrs. They also want to be able to use acid through this pump to clean. Any info would be much aprreciated. If you need any more information let me know.

Maybe this one sourced from Belgium? Cost is 115 Euro.

Novax_Pump.jpg

"Novax stainless steel electric pumps
Very favourably priced, self-priming centrifugal pumps with an electric motor. Pump housing with stainless steel shaft. Without bypass, pump operable in 2 directions. Suitable for pumping clear or lightly charged food liquids, such as water, wine, wort, etc. With standard NBR seal for liquids up to 60C. VITON sealing available separately. Motor: 230V, 50 Hz.

The pump cant be used for aggressive detergents like biting soda, hydrogen peroxide, . "

The Viton seal costs an extra 18.28 Euro.

Haven't checked out shipping costs.

See http://www.brouwland.com/en/

Mitchjazz,

Just checked the specs for the Novax pump I mentioned above against your stated requirements. You were after 40L/Min and a head of 20m. This Novax pump will only give 1,700/hr (= 28.33L/min) although it does provide a head of 25m.

There are other Novax models on the same web site that have higher flow rates up to 5,000L/hr but with corresponding decline in head.

Feldon,
Thats seems like a good buy BUT...i would imagine that they would need a pump that can handle temps above 60.C and also be able to handle the chemicals involved in CIP in a commercial brewery ( CIP is clean in place).The pump you suggest would be grouse for moving cooled wort into a fermentor or from fermentor into a bright beer tank...

Feldon,
Thats seems like a good buy BUT...i would imagine that they would need a pump that can handle temps above 60.C and also be able to handle the chemicals involved in CIP in a commercial brewery ( CIP is clean in place).The pump you suggest would be grouse for moving cooled wort into a fermentor or from fermentor into a bright beer tank...

Mmmm, I think with the addition of the optional Viton seal the pump is OK with wort over 60C - the description on the web site seems to suggest that...

"With standard NBR seal for liquids up to 60C. VITON sealing available separately"

Some other interesting gear on the site too.

Back