Pump and how many or no pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjp49rg

Reaction score
I'm just getting back to HB after kids and migrating from extract and partial to AG. I've been gathering up supplies for my build and was looking to a 3 tier gravity system. I read recently that during the summer months a 50' 1/2" immersion chiller might struggle with the hot scheme water and that Pre chillers were not as effective as pumping ice water through the chiller (obviously...). So I started heading towards getting a pump.
I've got an opportunity to get some at US prices so I'm thinking if I go down this path am I better with one or 2? What is the advantage apart from not having to move hoses? I'm going to be just sth of perth so I'm making some assumptions based on if the water will be an issue or not. Opinions appreciated. I've been going in with a low cost philosophy but as mentioned I can get some good prices so if it makes sense I'll do it.

For me the greatest benefit from having two pumps is to be able to have all my vessels at the same height and be able to flysparge at this level. It has the added benefit that if one pump fails I've got a backup. I use two Kaixin pumps and apart from some crappy threads and weak plastic heads they're great value for money. If I was to ever have to replace them I'd be wanting something with a stainless steel pump head.
When you say for pumping chilled water are you referring to using one with a plate chiller? If so there's no reason you couldn't use a pond pump or similar to recirc the chilled water and gravity feed the wort through the chiller.

im just north of the river and mid summer tap water is like ~25-27deg. I have 2 pumps and fly sparging etc is great. I am sure i would survive on one pump. I went down your philosophy when building my brewery thinking about gravity setup, having all the pots at the same level and not having to get on a stool or ladder during brew days is a lot safer :p

Do you have a ferment fridge? if so its easier chilling to however low tap temps will drop it and whack it in the fridge. Pitch when desired temperatures are reached.

I have 1 pump and wish I had another just like it. Problem is, it's an expensive stainless steel liquid ring pump that I scored as a freeby.

Pumps make things easier when brewing, and more difficult when cleaning as you have all the hoses and fittings to worry about.

Let us know if how you go with getting the prices - there are probably a few of us (me included) who would put in for a bulk buy or something.

im in the market for a pump too, keen to get a discount on a bulk buy.

I concur with most of the above, with 3 tier although a pump is not required it can be really handy, though once you get one it ruins the simplicity, thoughts of recirculation and efficiency gains/ wort clarity creep in: the next thing you know you've built Camo6's system.
I might say most of us lust after all that bling, in some cases it makes improvements, I personally would run Camo6 down with a 4x4 to get my hands on that work of art. :ph34r:
I understand the chiller concerns I lived in Perth for a good while, three choices as far as i can see and none need a pump,
1. chill as you normally would and throw in a fridge.
2. Get a second IM chiller place in a bucket of ice slurry and run your tap water through that first for the second half of the chill
3. NO chill!
Good luck with the build

MB

Bwahaha! I'll be wary of all 4x4's bearing NSW plates now MB. FWIW, I sometimes reckon my beers were better when I used a beat up keggle and a $10 grain bag. But then I'd have needed to find another hobby to waste my money on.

Thanks for the feedback all, appreciate it. In answer to some of the questions yes I'm anticipating getting a ferment fridge or chest freezer (might hold my 2 fermenters better I'm guessing) and yes I might be able to help out some people with a group buy. Short version of a long story is that I'm in the US now (3 years now) and I'm moving home in less than 2 mths. So I've been rapidly purchasing because I can't handle the thought of paying $45 for a carton of not so great beer up to $60 for some creatures which is my favourite. If there is enough interest in getting extra pumps then I'm happy to see what can be done as long as it fits in ( will get an idea of that in 2 weeks time). Obviously some logistics to sort and I'm not sure about best way to get a quick response. My pump of choice at the moment is the chugger 230v stainless which I believe would only require an adapter plug and no transformer to work in oz (happy for any elect eng's or sparkies to Chime in here).

Sounds good mate. Let us know.

Only thing that would change would be the speed/flow rate of the pump as the frequency in the states is 60hz and here it's 50 hz.

Latest posts

Back