Pulled too much yeast out with a hydro sample?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaanderal

Reaction score
Morning lads,

I pitched a healthy starter of WLP830 into my Vienna Lager yesterday. Being the impatient soul that I am I pulled a sample this morning from the tap to see if the little yeasties are doing their job.

After pulling the sample into a schooner glass and letting it settle for an hour, i realised i'd pulled at least half a schooner glass of yeast trub (yeast was still suspended in the liquid and had not fully settled, but very thick). Since lager is bottom fermenting yeast, how much damage did I actually do by pulling this much yeast out?

Regards,

Ben

Sounds like that's comprised of mostly break material (which ideally, shouldn't be in the fermenter).

You won't have too much yeast in that sample, don't worry about it. There should be plenty left for the ferment.

I hope so.

Due to muppetry on my part I'd relied on a very old wyeast smackpack and starter to get my yeast count up. But the brew day from hell threw spanners in the works and ended up breaking my Erlenmeyer flask that i was using for the starter, losing the whole lot. Had to order yeast online as the local brew shop was closed sunday and didnt have the right yeast in stock when i went on monday morning.

Wort was sitting in the ferm fridge at 11 degrees for at least 4 days before pitching the yeast so any break material would have had ample time to settle to the bottom. I hope that's the case.

Back