Public tastings of homebrew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight into the responsibilities or legalities of doing homebrew tastings at public events? I'm not talking about selling beer at an event, but a situation of a beer talk and tasting at a fete or similar. Is it allowed? Are there any public liability insurance requirements above and beyond what normal event holders would have?

not 100% sure but i reckon have a look through your liquor act. i know nsw has a liquor act 2007. i'm sure ACT has something similar.

Hey mate my LHBS does regular tastings at shows and charity events, not sure what he had to get approved but he might be able to help you out.

http://www.toowoombahomebrewers.com.au/

He does have a liquor licence, not sure if it only covers the store or off site as well.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk 2

the person serving must have an rsa, but there may be more

I think in the situations in my mind, RSA and liquor license are ok, but the issue I am wondering about is the whole 'not professionally made' alcohol. I'll check out the licensing laws.

When i was looking at opening a bricks and mortar shop, samples of beer where on my list. Local licensing sargeant said i'd need a producers licence as even if i was giving them away that there was the possibilty of financial reward with sales from the shop.

Having run art exhibition openings for years, which offer booze, the "loophole" was its a private event, and serving booze to invited guests is fine, but already a back up to have someone with an RSS on site, that would dispel any problems with licensing or the cops, should it get "out of hand". But art galleries are often private property and not profiting from alcohol sales. Public events would be well diffetent, unless the event.happened on private property, and guests were invited. Public spaves do not allow alcohol to be consumed at all, especially when neat businesses, or business districts. Would not be allowed in public property like schools.or community halls. I'd say no, not likely that could go down, however, if it were a regulated or registered.club event... Its tricky ground, and from what the bloke said at my rsa course, licensing are pretty accommodating to nit for profits, but that's hazy.

Gut reaction , no, no way, but it depends on.a few factors. Email liquor licensing, see what's possible.and report.

The place in question is also a gallery. I'm letting them do some leg work, but I will report back.

Used to see homebrew at one gallery I worked at.
Gallery situations are fine. Private property, the guests are invited. Licensing have no problem with giving out drinks at a gallery. Public property or community spaced are the problem. Youre good to go.

Main issued I've had are fundraising with beer/wine. But, take donation, give a game ticket, bam, "you'be won a drink!", that's how a licensing agent told me to get around problems.

Just have someone with an rsa on site, and you're good.

Pm me if you have more questions.

Is it a privately owned operated gallery? Or a regional council funded gallery? That could be a Major sticking point.

How would you go now in Qld....they could charge you with a criminal offence then being part of a club. Office bearers could get 25yrs.

Outlaw Brewers Club...

Pickaxe said:
There is a pub in gympie that puts home brew on one of its taps so ive heard.
That's not true. The pub in question, I believe, is The Royal Hotel. They put on a keg of Birty's Bitter from Bacchus to commemorate Lance Corporal Birt on ANZAC Day this year.

Local home brewers helped with the recipe, graphics etc and the bar staff on the day were incorrectly describing the beer as "home brew".

Every state has it's own liquor licensing regulations, fanfare and hoops to jump through. Ie what applies and has applied in QLD since dinosaurs roamed the plains won't necessarily apply in NSW, VIC etc. in QLD, giving away is still considered selling anywhere outside private residences according to one of the local licensing guys. Best bet is a frank Q&A session with your local authorities.

Ducatiboy stu said:
How would you go now in Qld....they could charge you with a criminal offence then being part of a club. Office bearers could get 25yrs.
Outlaw Brewers Club...
Only if the beer label includes the 1% tat

roboscot said:
That's not true. The pub in question, I believe, is The Royal Hotel. They put on a keg of Birty's Bitter from Bacchus to commemorate Lance Corporal Birt on ANZAC Day this year.

Local home brewers helped with the recipe, graphics etc and the bar staff on the day were incorrectly describing the beer as "home brew".
Right, thank you, I was. Misinformed.

Back