Quantcast

Pt100 Sensor Mounti

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

davelovesbeer

Reaction score
Looking at upgrading my brewery, and are wondering if a PT100 thermocouple has to be mounted in a thermowell, or can it be mounted straight in to a mash tun/HLT/kettle?

Just wondering what other people are doing, and if a thermowell is really required.

(p.s - title was supposed to be mounting - forgot the ng at the end),

dmac80

Reaction score
A PT100 RTD won't need to be mounted in a thermowell, straight into the brewing vessel will be fine, as the homebrewing process doesn't reach any great temperatures or pressures.

The advantage is you will get a quicker temperature response.

adniels3n

Reaction score
Thermowells add mechanical protection too.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but something to consider.

Wolfy

Reaction score
A cheaper PT100 (from Ebay) is best mounted in a thermowell. They have a tendency not to seal around the nut (the probe is loose) and requires some kind of glue/weld or adhesive to seal, in addition the nut and assembly tend to rust, even if they are sold as 'stainless steel'.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, please.

PT100's are resistive temperature detectors (RTD's) as opposed to thermocouples. As such, they're also more fragile than a thermocouple.

I'm wondering if, given the banging about that goes on with a homebrew vessel, if a thermowell is perhaps a good idea for a little extra protection for the probe from physical impact?

A3k

Reaction score
i love the look of these & these . I really like the idea of unplugging the leads easily.

i almost bough a few, but had some DS18S20 sensors arived which worked well, so thought i'd give them a crack in a these thermowells. they've got lots of types.
i'm planning on getting a copper 1/2" plug, drilling a hole in it and putting a headphone jack on it, then using headphone leads to get all the sensors to the control box.

billygoat

Reaction score
I have PT100 temperature probes installed in my set up without thermowells. They have been installed for nearly 3 years without leaks, rusting or failure.
They are mounted in my HLT, kettle, mashtun and HERMS. I purchased them from procon-products on Ebay and have found them to be good quality. I drilled an 8mm hole through the wall of the vessel and used a washer cut from a silicon baking mould, backed by a SS washer and tightened securely.

Probe_1.JPG

Probe_2.JPG

shmang

Reaction score

hotchilli

Reaction score
Cheap ones from china might not be as sturdy or accurate.
I use these cheap chinese knock-offs - 3-wire PT100 thermowell with integral probe & terminal head. Build quality is acceptable and performance is excellent - after all, the probe is just a few bits of platinum wire inside a SS tube. For $16 delivered it's great value and 3-wire has the advantage of taking into account the internal resistance of the wire back to the controller. Only drawback is that it's a 1/2" NPT fitting, not BSP, but in this size they are interchangeable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250514020092?ssPag...984.m1438.l2649

Latest posts