Protein Rest For Weyermann Vienna

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Just wondering if a protein rest, at about 50 deg C, is required for the Weyermann Vienna grain. I can't understand why it would as i'm sure Weyermann's would be selling good low nitrogen grain these days, or am I wrong?

SJW said:
Just wondering if a protein rest, at about 50 deg C, is required for the Weyermann Vienna grain. I can't understand why it would as i'm sure Weyermann's would be selling good low nitrogen grain these days, or am I wrong?
[post="116165"][/post]​

You're right - not required... :)

I've only ever used it in conjunction with other malts. About 25% always seems to go OK in my regular single infusion mash. I'd hazard a guess and say you'll have no worries. :)

Oh and it tastes not too bad at all. :beer:

Warren -

I would have said no, but the website (from memory) recommends one - then again, it could be something in the water. They tend to use a bit of acidulated malt in their recipes, don't they?

G'day SJ,

I can't speak for the Weyermann Vienna as I've only used it in smallish quantities with other malts, but I use the Weyermann Munich I as a base malt quite a lot and I've never had a problem single infusion mashing with it. Converts and clears very well - onto my second bag of it now :) I can't see why the Vienna would be any different unless Weyermann themselves are telling you different. If not, mash away as normal :beerbang:

Shawn.

Latest posts

Back