Propigating Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back Yard Brewer

I HAVE A WIFE THAT UNDERSTANDS
Reaction score
Can't be arsed looking and should know it but don't. I want to propagate a fresh pack of 2308, is it best to do it cold because it is a lager yeast or is it ok at normal room temp?

BYB

Should be done at room temp BYB.

cheers Ross

Room temp will give you the best yeast growth, but just don't pitch full volume of the starter.
It's also been suggested that by slowly cooling your stater - if you'll step it up - you are able to somewhat select yeast that thrive at lower temps.

This is totally off topic but I just counted that Ross has 25 beers on tap... that's more than a case of different beers.... on tap... wowsers...

Hey - i'm new to forums' and AHB - im also new to AG brewing - i made my first double batch of dead guy clone on the weekend and i was given some pacman yeast (don't know the tech term for it) it was propagated in a longneck with some beer. I had a little bit left in the bottle and i got some water and brown sugar and put a cap back on it, its now back in the fridge. I wanted to know if what i had done was a waste of time or will it work and in a week or so i'll have more yeast?

Hey - i'm new to forums' and AHB - im also new to AG brewing - i made my first double batch of dead guy clone on the weekend and i was given some pacman yeast (don't know the tech term for it) it was propagated in a longneck with some beer. I had a little bit left in the bottle and i got some water and brown sugar and put a cap back on it, its now back in the fridge. I wanted to know if what i had done was a waste of time or will it work and in a week or so i'll have more yeast?

You probably wont have more yeast, coz your fridge temp will be lower than the temp the yeast wants to grow at. Brown sugar and (unboiled tap - i presume?) water arent the best either. You should use some malt and some cooled boiled water, uncap the longneck and leave it at room temp with an airlock or glad wrap over the top.
The ratio of malt to water is about 50g malt to 500mL water I think. Better do a search and be sure.

You probably wont have more yeast, coz your fridge temp will be lower than the temp the yeast wants to grow at. Brown sugar and (unboiled tap - i presume?) water arent the best either. You should use some malt and some cooled boiled water, uncap the longneck and leave it at room temp with an airlock or glad wrap over the top.
The ratio of malt to water is about 50g malt to 500mL water I think. Better do a search and be sure.

Not the best, but sugar and tap water will do in a pinch.

I usually do the first step of the starter at 80g LDME/900ml cooled boiled water (add the malt to the still hot water and it dissolves in seconds), when at ~20C add the yeast (slant or other wise) and aerate add stir bar and let her rip for a few hours. Depending on final volume required I either step up at 12 or 24hr intervals (aerating at 2hourly intervals, and at step up points) .

Now that's *how* I do it, works for me, YMMV!

Which reminds me, as I'm doing a lager Friday, I'd better get the starter going.....

Latest posts

Back