Product Idea - Hop Sampler Pack?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Had a thought the other day that it would be great if you could buy a 'sampler pack' of hops to get an idea of their aroma/flavour. Lots of people on here ask the 'which hop' question and it may help them decide.

Could be a blister pack containing a couple of grams of each hop. You could put each hop variety into a mug, add a bit of boiling H2O and then have a sniff/taste. Just tried it with some Perle hops, seemed to get the right idea. Could maybe do it in themes e.g. American, OZ/NZ, English, Noble/German, High Alpa etc?

There is lots of info on hops that is general e.g. this variety is floral but it is quite hard to get specific info unless you can track down a commercial variety that features a given hop (which is easy to do for Cascade/Amarillo but not for others).

I would be happy to pay a premium for such a product. How bout it Ross?

Or you could go to www.nikobrew.com . He sells 2 ounce (56g) packs for between $2-4, most are around $2.5. From memory its $14 for 2.5lbs, might be a little more buying in small packets. Would still end up being pretty cheap i reckon. I personally haven't bought from him, but i know people who have.

edited to add~ Just went there to price a couple pounds of cascade, and i see that he has a 6pack sampler. 6 varieties at 1oz each for $10.

Probably go down better than my "Hop Suppositories" product idea.

Brewmart do this kit..
Hops kit

That's a good idea i reckon. Apart from the "12 different colors" sheet.
Would potentially give a decent start into understanding what hops go into what beers and why..

Probably go down better than my "Hop Suppositories" product idea.

Go "down" better than a hop suppository?

Aren't suppositories supposed to go "up"?

****, don't tell me i've been doin' it wrong all these years....

That's a good idea i reckon. Apart from the "12 different colors" sheet.
Would potentially give a decent start into understanding what hops go into what beers and why..

Yeah, you'd think so... until you see the Brewmart name associated with it and then your mind starts to wonder. And then you actually see one of these kits up close and think 'hop pellets aren't meant to be brown are they ?' Then you open a vial and and the immediate connotation is the other spelling of that word. Maybe that's why I associate fuggles with sweaty socks ? :huh: but then after sampling this kit you might think the same about cascade and whatever other variety is in there.

Latest posts

Back