Proceed or not?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer Brew

Reaction score
Be ing time poor lately I thought I would mash my Munich Helles on Friday night and then do the boil on Saturday morning, a technique I have used several times this year with no issue. However Saturday morning rolls around and life gets in the way resulting in no chance to get back to it.

All good I think, will hit it Sunday. Remove the lid to find this. Smells a little fruity, gravity hasn't dropped at all so don't think it is wild yeast. Tastes ok. Question is do I start the boil which will obviously kill off anything living there or am I wasting my time because the beer will already be tainted?

image.jpeg

Proceed, I reckon. Call it a trial of innovation ;)

Sour mash. Wow that's pretty quick. I've left a small mash for a week and it never got to that stage.
I'd go with it. May want to think about what to make with it. I'd think Saison. Or just go with the original plan.

Right, hadn't considered that, makes sense. I added lactic acid to my mash for the first time to try and hit a a more suitable water profile. Would that have accelerated it? I have a big lager starter ready to go but could swing a late change? On hand I have couple of dry Belgian yeasts from the ANHC show bag? Or I have Windsor. Thoughts?

Grain bill was Pils 93%, Carapils 5% and Acidulated 2%

manticle said:
Do you like sour beers?
Not particularly no. But as I'm already this far down the track I may as well see what I can learn I guess.

yurgy said:
tart belgian golden ale
Sounds ok. Better than tart lager! Recommend a hopping schedule? I have a decent range of nobles and US on hand. Plus some English.

Saaz and styrians. 20- 30 ibu with a small amount late.

Acidulated malt was probably a contributor but all pale grains carry the bacteria.

Killer Brew said:
Sounds ok. Better than tart lager! Recommend a hopping schedule? I have a decent range of nobles and US on hand. Plus some English.
yeah what manticle said maybe some candy sugar

You said it tastes fine, you're boiling it I doubt it's going to be sour.

It tastes fine, ok try stirring that into the wort and then taste it.

Hello lawn. Lesson learnt.

Pratty1 said:
It tastes fine, ok try stirring that into the wort and then taste it.
Hello lawn. Lesson learnt.
Skimmed it all off of the top before boiling. All done now as a Belgian Golden Ale, will see how it is in a few days.

Just reporting back on this one and pleased to say it has turned out a belter. Nice tart Belgian that finished quite dry and dropped crystal clear. Serving it up at my son's first birthday party tomorrow (to the adults not the kids). Would certainly do again, deliberately this time.

What Manticle said. Got any belgian yeast on hand?

edit: duh... just saw the last post. Glad it worked out well!

You may want to read right through ;-)

Beer done as a Belgian. Happy I went through with it and didn't tip. And thankful for the advice received on here as always.

Yep, not sure I'd have the patience to beat my head against the wall of my own ignorance as much as I'd have to without this forum.

It's amazing to me how much leeway there is in brewing to make a good beer out of our f-ups. Well done.

Latest posts

Back