Problems Carbing after Cold Crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just cracked a couple of beers from a batch of beers that were my first go at cold crashing. Fermented them in the bottle with 2 drops as i have the last 10 times, but this time they have little or no carbonation.

I bottled them straight from my fridge, (so they were cold when first primed) then stored them at room temp for 9 days now. They have almost no sediment in them what so ever. I know there is still meant to be enough yeast in suspension to carb after cc but i cant really see my problem here. I went through the batch and squeezed all of the bottles (as i brew in plastic still) and they all seem to have the same problem. Tastes great just flat as ****...

i just gave them a shake in case the sugar has not mixed into the solution properly, although I really don't think this was the problem.

Any advice?

All my other beers have been fully carbed after 6 days max. Some of these have zero carb.

Try putting them somewhere warmer. Try leaving beer longer to mature, I find my beers to be at their best at around four weeks for hoppy brews, longer for malt forward beers

It brewed for 3 weeks. 1 in prime then 2 in second. I doubt that's the problem

Cold crashing reduces the yeast in your bottles which should improve flavour. It also means that there are significantly fewer yeast in the bottle to consume the sugars to carbonate your beer. So the yeast will need more time to chew through the sugars, but they will given time. So yes it will take longer but you will be rewarded with a cleaner tasting beer.

As mentioned already, give them about 4 weeks. If they're not fully carbonated by then you have a problem. The solution is simple, if you're impatient and want to be drinking beers inside of a week after bottling then don't cold crash.

You could even cold crash the individual bottles after they're fully carb'd, you'll end up with similar clearing results as I you'd done it in the secondary.

Back