Problem...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
Hey all,
Made some cider about 24 hours ago.
Just juice from the supermarket, no big deal.
Hasnt started fermenting yet, no bubbling no condensation yet. But its cold no big deal.
BUT the thing is im having a small very very slow leak from the tap. Is this going to be a problem? ?

Exactly what I was thinking. Unsure of what to do about it

And not even a hint of condensation yet either :/

Just had the same problem on my 60l fermenter, I put some Vaseline on a cotton bud and rubbed it on the inner part of the tap, turn the tap on & off a few times ( not right open, turn it to just before liquid comes out... ) to coat the barrell of the tap with vaso. Seems to have worked so far, I wiped out the excess from the outlet and gave it a good blast with no-rinse sanitiser. 50l of hefe-weizen riding on the outcome so fingers crossed. You could also use keg lube if you have it handy.

adz2332 said:
Hey all,
Made some cider about 24 hours ago.
Just juice from the supermarket, no big deal.
Hasnt started fermenting yet, no bubbling no condensation yet. But its cold no big deal.
BUT the thing is im having a small very very slow leak from the tap. Is this going to be a problem? ?
It could be a problem, it's certainly not ideal - especially once some pressure builds up, that small drip could get bigger.

Do you have another fermenter you could first test out with water and then if okay, transfer to?

Damn.
No not right now I dont have a spare one.
As it stands I have wrapped a whole heap of gladwrap around it and rubberband to try and keep it air tight.
Hadnt thought about when pressures build as it hasn't even started yet...
Will keep an eye on it for the next 48 hours

Try the Vaseline mate, gladwrap will just give the bugs a nice cosy area to fester in. Not sure that you will get pressure in the fermenter unless you want it, ie no airlock and do up the lid tight...

Just to clarify, if you have a standard tap, put the Vaseline/ keg lube etc on the inner part of the tap outlet, on the part which turns when you open the tap. This takes the lube into the gap when you turn the tap on/ off ( again, not to the point where liquid is actually coming out of the tap ), and will help it seal. I'm up to 24 hours now with the one I did and no more drips.
Cheers & good luck.

Thanks guys. have given the vas trick a go this morning. will see if it has stopped the leak when i get home from work tonight....
who would have thought there was anther use for the stuff ;)

Just while people are reading this thread. What temps is best for champgne yeast to start / ferment at?
Hasnt started yet after 48 hours

The Vaseline should work but if it doesn’t you can replace the tap if you gently lie the fermenter on its side with the tap upper most. You will probably need to temporarily block the air lock grommet, I have done this before by inserting a hard spile but if you don’t have one you could wrap the air lock in glad wrap and re-insert it to seal the hole.

I am assuming you are using a lid and air lock as you said in your first post there was “ no bubbling no condensation yet” hope this makes sense.

Thanks mate ill keep that in mind...
Yer im using one of the coopers barrels

You can stop your taps dripping in future by pulling them apart, cleaning them and smearing a little vaselin, keg lube or olive oil to seal them before reassembling.
To pull a tap apart easily put it in a cup of boiling water for about a minute. You may need pliers or something to grip one end and pull.

Cheers

S.E said:
You can stop your taps dripping in future by pulling them apart, cleaning them and smearing a little vaselin, keg lube or olive oil to seal them before reassembling.
To pull a tap apart easily put it in a cup of boiling water for about a minute. You may need pliers or something to grip one end and pull.

Cheers
or do the boiling water thing and use a short piece of dowel inside the tap and gently tap out on a bench/ table

Yep or a dowel, though I usually only need pliers when the taps are new to pull apart for the first time. After that they just pull apart by hand. If your tough you may be able to pull them apart from new and without the boiling water even. Or if you are really tough just use your teeth. :)

Invest in a spare fermenter... Cheaper than throwing out all that juice if you get an infection!

+ 1 for the keg lube or vas' when you break open your taps for cleaning. I clean them after every brew.

If you don't have a dowell or a wooden spoon lying around, the tube from the bottle filler (the one with the blue valve on the end) is a perfect fit to whack apart your taps. There is a helpful thread somewhere that demonstrates the method.

Another quick fix for a leaky fermenter valve (not thread) is the little yellow caps that come on the end of a coil of copper. I fill them with sanitiser and then jam them on. I've not checked but I reckon the silicone beer tap nozzle covers might work for that too.

431neb said:
+ 1 for the keg lube or vas' when you break open your taps for cleaning. I clean them after every brew.

If you don't have a dowell or a wooden spoon lying around, the tube from the bottle filler (the one with the blue valve on the end) is a perfect fit to whack apart your taps. There is a helpful thread somewhere that demonstrates the method.

Another quick fix for a leaky fermenter valve (not thread) is the little yellow caps that come on the end of a coil of copper. I fill them with sanitiser and then jam them on. I've not checked but I reckon the silicone beer tap nozzle covers might work for that too.
I may be wrong but think in the helpful thread that demonstrates the method they just used a dowel and brute force which will work too. Boiling water is the key to popping them apart really easily.

Once they are apart I add a little cold water to the cup of boiling along with a little dish washing liquid to wash off the old vas.

Did a hydrometer reading 1061 so will leave it till monday n try it again see if it's fermenting

Back