Problem With Botteling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunney boy

Reaction score
hello fellow brewers

I am on my 3rd batch of beer and have a problem that when i use my little bottler to fill my bottles about 1/3 is head. I have to put it aside and fill some others and then top them up after. This happens right throught the whole batch. Am i doing somthing wrong or is there somthing wrong with the litlle bottler.. It is a coopers kit.

PS.. this is a great site and i have learned so much from reading this forum..

Cheers

at a guess i would say you have too much CO2 still in the beer as you bottle, meaning that it probably hasn't fully finished fermenting. leave it another week before bottling next time?

How long has it been fermenting for? :icon_drool2:

hello fellow brewers

I am on my 3rd batch of beer and have a problem that when i use my little bottler to fill my bottles about 1/3 is head. I have to put it aside and fill some others and then top them up after. This happens right throught the whole batch. Am i doing somthing wrong or is there somthing wrong with the litlle bottler.. It is a coopers kit.

PS.. this is a great site and i have learned so much from reading this forum..

Cheers

I've had that happen before. One way of dealing with it is setting them aside as you are and fill an unprimed bottle. Using a funnel, top up each one when the head subsides sufficiently. Always best to leave a little headroom though.

Other issues could be:
Warm bottles (exciting the beer once it hits the warm glass). Cool the bottles down prior to bottling.
Are you putting sugar into bottles first or bulk priming or (shudder :ph34r: ) carb lollies...?
I presume you are using a bottling wand? the wand may be sucking in air causing the foaming?

I tended to bulk prime prior to kegging. Mixed in the required amount of sugar/malt/etc stir then bottle. No issues with foaming.

The only issues I have ever had with foaming is when i forget to add the sugar into the bottle first, as such dumping a load of sugar into a full beer bottle results in overflowing beer!

Hope this is of some help in your problem.

Edit:Spelling

Another idea:

When you first start filling the bottles, don't open the tap all the way. Open it just enough to get the beer flowing. As the volume in the fermenter decreases the pressure formed by the weight of the beer above it decreases making for a slower fill, then you can open it up some more.

Latest posts

Back