Priming with Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nacnud

Reaction score
Noob question...Is this a thing? Do people do this? I have always (for the last 6 months) used Dextrose but for my most recent brew i tried DME. I've just tried the beer and it's got a DME kinda taste to it. Admittedly it's only been 1 week in the bottle but it's got me wondering if saving some wort and using that would be a good way of priming without affecting flavour. Has anyone got any tips on this?

I've used dme and it works well. Doesn't ferment out fully like dex does though. I don't see the point of adding actual wort though rather than dme, as the change would be negligible due to the volume I would think.

Krausening is using actively fermenting wort to prime.

But the amount of wort added would remain the same right?

nacnud said:
Noob question...Is this a thing? Do people do this? I have always (for the last 6 months) used Dextrose but for my most recent brew i tried DME. I've just tried the beer and it's got a DME kinda taste to it. Admittedly it's only been 1 week in the bottle but it's got me wondering if saving some wort and using that would be a good way of priming without affecting flavour. Has anyone got any tips on this?
What made you try DME? It's considered to be pretty variably fermentable, i.e. harder to get a consistent rate of carbonation. Just stick with the dextrose, priming is such a small volume you shouldn't be tasting whatever you use, and dextrose is just plain easy.

The reason I used DME to begin with was because I ran out of Dextrose at the crucial moment. Yeah, probably easiest to stick with Dextrose I guess. The effort taken to "Krausen" probably isn't worth it for me at this stage.

I'd turn to table sugar (white, raw etc) before DME. I used to use raw sugar to bulk prime with, only changed when i got a big bag of dex cheap one day.

Also I remember someone on this forum used to use sugar cubes to prime with 'coz they were cheaper than carb drops. As I said above, you're using so little in each bottle it really won't matter.

Latest posts

Back