Priming With Chocolate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking of brewing a stout next and was wondering about priming some of the bottles with dark chocolate?
Has anyone tried this before?

thanks

P.S. to work out quantities, I thought you could just see how much sugar content per gram from the label and weigh it on kitchen scales or work out how much sugar per each block of chocolate.

Not quite the same but I added 200gms of cocoa powder to my priming syrup when I bulk primed my Cascade Choc porter to try and impart a bit more richness. This was after dissolving 200gms of Lindt 85% choc in the boil too.

These two things did bugga all as far as choc flavours go after 3 weeks in the bottle and seemed to add a lot of sediment.

I think you're looking at the yeast having a tough job to dissolve solid choc in the bottles.

Not quite the same but I added 200gms of cocoa powder to my priming syrup when I bulk primed my Cascade Choc porter to try and impart a bit more richness. This was after dissolving 200gms of Lindt 85% choc in the boil too.

These two things did bugga all as far as choc flavours go after 3 weeks in the bottle and seemed to add a lot of sediment.

I think you're looking at the yeast having a tough job to dissolve solid choc in the bottles.

So you think I'm better off using just raw or brown sugar for a stout?

So you think I'm better off using just raw or brown sugar for a stout?
I reckon it is a bit of a waste, but others would know better than I. Certainly dissolving and bulk priming with a tasty brown sugar should give you a bit of extra caramel notes to your brew.

I reckon it is a bit of a waste, but others would know better than I. Certainly dissolving and bulk priming with a tasty brown sugar should give you a bit of extra caramel notes to your brew.

If one was to use Brown Sugar, do you need to use a bit more, or would you measure it the same as white sugar?

Thanks...

http://www.byo.com/feature/333.html

I found this link helpful when trying to do a chocolate beer, cocoa (100%) seems to work the best, but dont expect chocolate flavour, kind of bitter. Priming with chocolate didnt have much success... beer milkshake!

http://www.byo.com/feature/333.html

I found this link helpful when trying to do a chocolate beer, cocoa (100%) seems to work the best, but dont expect chocolate flavour, kind of bitter. Priming with chocolate didnt have much success... beer milkshake!

My Choc Porter was primed with a mix of sugar and cocoa powder and it really just added to brown yeast sediment instead of white!
:)
I agree, didn't really add a choc note or flavour to the brew at all.

I`d like a dollar for everyone in their early days of brewing, including myself, who saw a recipe for say "Dark chocolate, coffee and creamy oatmeal stout" and rushed in and made it only to find it tasted like.......well, it didn`t taste like "Dark chocolate, coffee and creamy
oatmeal stout"
It reads good but. :beerbang:

stagga.

If one was to use Brown Sugar, do you need to use a bit more, or would you measure it the same as white sugar?

Thanks...

Did you find the answer to this one Wetdog? I would also like to know. I'm about to start a stout.

Did you find the answer to this one Wetdog? I would also like to know. I'm about to start a stout.
Cane Sugar should be the same
see "how to brew" and read the next page after this one for some ratios.

Not sure it's worth it - any one who has any experience priming a stout with brown sugar care to comment on whether or not it imparts much taste difference to white sugar?

I did read that chocolate has a content of oil which can really stuff your beer. I think they said a little of 100% cocoa was ok.
I reckon you need to chase the chocolate hit some how else. Eat a piece while you drink it.

I did read that chocolate has a content of oil which can really stuff your beer. I think they said a little of 100% cocoa was ok.
I reckon you need to chase the chocolate hit some how else. Eat a piece while you drink it.
Yeah I read that too, make sure the choc is in the boil for a bit to drive off the oils.

I used Lindt 85% in two brews. One was the cascade mahogany porter and it added nothing that I could taste, not even bitterness.

I threw a 100gm block in a London Porter a couple of weeks back, yet to bottle it and taste it, but I think dark roasted grain is the way to choc up yer brew, not with actual choc...

No I didn't find an answer... It's in the rack and I'll be bottling in a week or so. I think I'll bottle prime and try some different things but mostly I'll do the brown sugar as I've got high hopes for it.

Latest posts

Back