Priming, Candy And Tables Sugars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
G'day,

I have used some sucrose in some beers. I have notiuced that both times I used it, the gravity got to about 5 to 10 points above what I expected in the normal times frame, then b oth went really slowly to the final gravity I expected. I have heard people saying that this is becuase of two conflicting reasons. They are as follows...

1. When you use simple sugars, the yeast will eat all them first and get used to them and then have toruble consuming the more complex sugars that are left over after the mash.
2. That the ezymatic process of dividing the sucrose into glucose and fructose is a little difficult for the yeast.

Any ideas on which (if either) of these is correct? I heard from someone that Jamil reccommends when using large amount of sugar in a brew to add it mid ferment, which supports the first idea.

I have also been reading about making candy sugar and thought that if the second reason is correct, then if I wanted to use sucrose for priming sugar, when I boil it, I would boil it a little longer with a bit of citric acid to divide up the sucrose. SO I am wondering if anyone knows how long it takes at 100C to divded up 500g of sucrose with a pinch of citric?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back