Used wrong priming sugar and too much

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazinshadow

Reaction score
Hello and merry Christmas to Everyone.
i have just fermented a Coopers larger with 330 grams of Coopers brew enhancer 2 (makes a nice light beer)
i kegs my beers so i put the Beer into the keg. I normally from here put 100 grams of white sugar in for the priming sugar. That way i don't have to use too much gas. This time for some silly reason I put in the keg the 330 grams of brew Enhancer 2. Is my beer still going to be ok? or do i need to do something to it to save it?

Enhancer 2 contains glucose, malt (both fermentable) and maltodextrin for body. You are going to have no problems other than a bit higher in alcohol %. I’d leave in the keg a bit longer than usual before use.

You can always purge the keg along the way so it doesn't over carbonate. I don't know the percentages of glucose and malt in the BE2 but i'm gonna guess you over primed. You need less sugar when naturally carbonating kegs, i think even 100g of sugar would be to much.

Dunno if iam following this discussion accurately however SOAD were nu metal and awesome.

I made a similar mistake on bottling day once. Twice as much sugar bulk primed. On a whim I decides to half fill each bottle so the extra co2 saturates the head space. It worked! No boom boom and perfect carbonation in the glass of beer. I wonders if the same method would work if you siphon half to another keg I.E. two half full kegs left to carb up.

BTW I'm just about to move to kegs for the first time. Is there much difference between sugar priming or force carbonating with gas?

Cheers
Garf

Enhancer 2 contains glucose, malt (both fermentable) and maltodextrin for body. You are going to have no problems other than a bit higher in alcohol %. I’d leave in the keg a bit longer than usual before use.

It says dextrose, maltodextrin and light dry malt on the box

Sorry, your right it is dextrose on the box.( They are however biochemically identical. Dextrose is the name given to glucose produced from corn. )

Latest posts

Back