Priming A March Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you still prick! havnt you heard of gforce?? :p it tends to move things outwards from the center point :D

Is it the 809 or the 815? I have the 815 with the center inlet and mounted it with the outlet pointing down as I figured it would drain better without leaving liquid trapped in the impeller housing between brews. I havent had any trouble getting it to prime, it might stall a little whilst air pockets hit the pump but it usually gets through them ok. I have heard the larger 815 impeller is much better at avoiding loss of prime issues so maybe thats it?

I think they face them up as air will raise up and push the air bubbles out the top. But I aint no pump mechanic so it may work the other way.

Yeah I think you can have one or the other. The way I see it, pointing up is better for priming to avoid the air pocket, pointing down drains better to avoid having liquid sitting in the impeller at the end of the day. I was thinking of changing mine to pointing up to avoid the air pocket/prime problem but so far haven't had any prime issues with the outlet pointing down on the 815.

Cocko,

When ever I have has problems I simply lay my "outlet" hose on the ground. TURN THE PUMP OFF. Once fluid starts to rum out of the hose by GRAVITY, turn the pump on.

Airlocks in the pump housing can cause problems.

Remember turn the pump off whilst trying to get rid of the irlock.

cheers

tnd

Thanks heaps! Seriously., will try!

Yeah I think you can have one or the other. The way I see it, pointing up is better for priming to avoid the air pocket, pointing down drains better to avoid having liquid sitting in the impeller at the end of the day. I was thinking of changing mine to pointing up to avoid the air pocket/prime problem but so far haven't had any prime issues with the outlet pointing down on the 815.

Outlet pointing up?

Oh, re-read, outlet pointing down?

I think the most common setup is 'outlet pointing up', because it automatically bleeds (most) air out the top of the impeller housing as it fills with liquid.

I have mine positioned with outlet pointing up and so that the kettle
outlet is a little higher than the center of the pump's liquid chamber

- this configuration prevents any air pocket forming in the chamber.

All I have to do is let liquid drain from the kettle into the pump and power
on for a real gusher of a flow.

Pump mounted below liquid storage = either way: Open valves on inlet and outlet side, allow enough time for liquid to fill pump head and hoses, air in the system will flow upward through hoses and valves (ie: up through hose and valve into HLT and bubble to the surface) - no airlocks. Turn pump on - liquid movement, all is good.

Screwy

Brew_Rig_V_5_pump.jpg

please see vid of how to position pump for optimal results

http://tinyurl.com/7vn9dl

tnd

HAHA!

I thought he was calling me a useless Aunt - which to be honest, was a little weird....

But yeah, all sorted cheers guys! had it sideways, then was and wrong way up and impatient with the priming process.

BTW: Anyone who is thinking 'should I get a pump?' - stop thinking, start pumping - it is like the day you first mill with a motorised mill.. farking awesome.

:super:

edit: The main help was tnd's vid :p

good to hear you sorted it out. Always something simple :p

Yep a pump would of saved me several chiropractic seasons. But not thought I could lift a 80lt pot 3/4 full onto the burner from floor level lol. so much easier on brew day though, 2 would be good but not essential. Maybe a cheap brown pump so I can fly sparge when I am draining.

Latest posts

Back