Pride Of Ringwood Brew Dilemma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobby Lobster

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been battling with a dilemma and thought I'd ask for some advice.

I have brewed the following simple light ale extract and I am unsure whether to leave it POR only, or dry hop with say 15g Citra for a couple of days before bottling:

23 litre batch
250g Crystal (120ebc) steeped
2kg light DME (180g only added to the 5 litre boil)
0.5kg dextrose
30g POR (9.7% aa pellets) @ 60 mins
20g POR @ 30 mins
15g POR @ 10 mins
US-05

I haven't used POR before and thought that I should. I bought the citra with the notion of using it for this batch, but find myself contemplating POR only.
Searches I have done on POR have just confused me further.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

POR is best with fresh flowers and have been told it doesnt mix will with other hops. But in saying that if you just bitter with POR and use another hop late I dont find it to bad. It all depends what your after? id prob bitter with about 20IBU and do a 20min addition of about 15-20g

You are probably going to end up with something in the same category as Reschs Draught, a bit darker and a bit more bitterness and hop character. I think adding an extra hop will only confuse the issue, keep it as a good Aussie style and use the Citra in your next brew. :icon_cheers:

If you add 3 g of citra you won't taste anything but citra.

I think you have a lot of bitterness there now for the amount of malt.. What where you aiming for.

Thank guys. Yeah I think I keep the citra up my sleeve.
Rover I guess I was just after a subtle bit of aroma, and I do like citra, but perhaps I'll just see how I go with the bitternes of the POR and do the tweaking down the track.

Sometimes things make more sense when you say them out loud (or type them out).

Cheers.

Just looking at the numbers quickly I get an OG of ~1.042 (making 24 L with waste and losses) and about 48 IBU. I think it might be too thin and too bitter to be balanced.

With US-05 it would pull up somewhere around 1.010 and ~4.2% ABV.

MHB

Throw the POR in the bin and use citra :p

Couldn't help myself.

Seriously - use the POR separate from Citra. Both are "their own man" hop wise - putting the two of them together is just asking for a pub brawl at 3am and a trip down to the Magistrates on Monday.

I love Citra - it makes a fantastic Pale Ale with very little effort and the right amount of love. If you'd like, I'll link to it here.

Sorry for a little shameless self promotion, but this is seriously the easier brew ever, and to convert to K&K or Extract, all you have to do is replace the Weyermanns pilsner malt with Pale LME/DME or a Pale Ale kit of your choice. Yet, turned out fantastic and better than some of my more complex attempts.

So there's how you can use your Citra, without it upsetting POR (or vice versa).

Good luck, have fun, post the results and drink happy.

Goomba

Edit: Clarity (hard with a few Big Helga's under the belt. Free glass is cool though)

I think you have a lot of bitterness there now for the amount of malt.. What where you aiming for.
+1 i used 15grm of citra and it turned out like passion fruit flavoured beer.
although after a month in the keg, it actually tasted ver nice, weird but refreshingly nice.
cascade would be a better choice

I have made quite a few simple Aussie Ales.

23 litre batch
250g Crystal (120ebc) steeped
2kg light DME (180g only added to the 5 litre boil)
0.5kg dextrose
I would try and sneak in a little wheat, but not too much

30g POR (9.7% aa pellets) @ 60 mins I would drop this back to 25g
20g POR @ 30 mins Drop this addition altogether
15g POR @ 10 mins I've often used Cluster or Nugget for this addition, works a treat
US-05 keep the temp low, 17 is what I would aim for

Keep that Citra away from this one.

Just a few ideas

QldKev

Thanks again lads.

I bottled last night and yeah it was a bit thin but didn't taste too bad. Fingers crossed. A bit of a florally aroma, so I'm hoping a bit of potential. As long as I don't have to tip it...

Tassie is a key hop growing area for the country apparently, so I'd be hoping that the Pride of Ringwood I purchase in Hobart will be fresh and good.

Lord RJ I, I have taken your advice and brewed your smash 'n Citrash Ale this very afternoon - stovetop BIAB . Only degression will be us-05 instead of the notto.
I feel good about the way that it went though my hands copped some heat from squeezing.

Nick JD, I gleaned a lot from your 2 x biab threads and after going stovetop today, multiple pennies have dropped. Thank you.

Glug glug :icon_chickcheers: .

Thanks again lads.

I bottled last night and yeah it was a bit thin but didn't taste too bad. Fingers crossed. A bit of a florally aroma, so I'm hoping a bit of potential. As long as I don't have to tip it...

Tassie is a key hop growing area for the country apparently, so I'd be hoping that the Pride of Ringwood I purchase in Hobart will be fresh and good.

Lord RJ I, I have taken your advice and brewed your smash 'n Citrash Ale this very afternoon - stovetop BIAB . Only degression will be us-05 instead of the notto.
I feel good about the way that it went though my hands copped some heat from squeezing.

Nick JD, I gleaned a lot from your 2 x biab threads and after going stovetop today, multiple pennies have dropped. Thank you.

Glug glug :icon_chickcheers: .

Get some thick rubber gardening gloves - they will help. And make sure they have long cuffs - it might be a tad more uncomfortable, but so is hot liquor coming through the top of the glove and giving third degree burns to the ends of your fingers.

The stovetop method really does concrete in some foundation concepts with AG brewing, and it becomes considerably easier to build other concepts on top of it.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back