Pre-filter Before Plate Chiller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummins

Reaction score
I have just got myself a plate chiller (chillout) and want to know how others pre-filter to avoid clogging?

Is whirlpool sufficient? Are hops the only worry or hot break could cause a problem too?

I have just got myself a plate chiller (chillout) and want to know how others pre-filter to avoid clogging?

Is whirlpool sufficient? Are hops the only worry or hot break could cause a problem too?

I use a length of stainless steel braiding (from a hot water hose) connected to a copper T-piece in mine. I've had mixed success with it, as the braiding itself often clogs with break. I think the way it works best is to "stretch" the braiding a bit. It makes the holes a little bigger, allowing some smaller particles through (that don't seem to affect the chiller). The bigger bits get filtered, blocking the rest of the small particles, but without clogging the braid.

YMMV, and I'd be interested to hear what works for you.

Thanks Mark. Your response is appreciated.

Anybody else have any ideas? Or are you too busy discussing where to buy buckets and spoons from?

Buckets and spoons are cool :p

I'll be getting a plate chiller soon so I'm interested in this too.

I use a hopsock during the boil, so I'm not worried about them, I figured to just stuff a stainless scrubby on the end of my pick-up and be done with it.. as long as its filtering out the bigger chunks.

I'd tried the braid thing before and had no luck. But Mark's "stretch" idea might make it worth a re-visit

I dont reckon you need one, I've had heaps of trub, hop debris and flowers go straight through mine. I backflush it everytime and nothing is ever stuck in there. Still, a whirlflock and a 10min strong whirlpool doesnt go astray. I have an open pickup though and have ever had a problem.

I have a .99 cent solution for my plate chiller, I brought a piece of stainless steel mesh (big W toaster wire in the camping department) rollered it around my inlet and folded the end over. Works a treat. Of course I whirlpool first and my intake is on the side.

kettlescreenend.gif

kettlescreenside.gif

This is what I use in the kettle. Stops all the crap coming through, but I still whirlpool first, and backwash the chiller after. I think the potential problems come from the very small debris building up over time if you don't backwash the chiller after use.

kettlescreenend.gif

kettlescreenside.gif

This is what I use in the kettle. Stops all the crap coming through, but I still whirlpool first, and backwash the chiller after. I think the potential problems come from the very small debris building up over time if you don't backwash the chiller after use.

that looks bloody fantastic just got yourself a sale
paul

I have the pickup on my kettle located to one side and leave 1.5 litres in the bottom. This is always break and hops trub.

Never had problems with the plate chiller blocking.

WJ

That is true WJ, if you have a bare pickup placed right, you can avoid most of it completely. But I think the screens (a screen/any screen) are good as a precautionary measure to make sure nothing gets in there. I'm greedy as well, and can't see any reason to leave behind anything I don't have to, so I am a kettle tipper through and through, when the kettle has drained down to almost where the pickup will no longer drain it, I stick a bowl under the opposite side of the kettle to tip it. I don't reckon anymore than 1/2 a cup gets left in the bottom these days (if you think that's tight, I used to tip the entire lot, kettle trub and all into the fermenter... :eek: ). If I tried to drain that low without a screen it would be a little bit more difficult. I use a lot of whole hops as well (sometimes 200-300grms in a 50 litre batch), that amount is sometimes difficult to keep away from the pickup and I don't want any of them getting through to the chiller. So it's horses for courses really. Works for me :), that's pretty much the basis for anything I make.

That is true WJ, if you have a bare pickup placed right, you can avoid most of it completely. But I think the screens (a screen/any screen) are good as a precautionary measure to make sure nothing gets in there. I'm greedy as well, and can't see any reason to leave behind anything I don't have to, so I am a kettle tipper through and through, when the kettle has drained down to almost where the pickup will no longer drain it, I stick a bowl under the opposite side of the kettle to tip it. I don't reckon anymore than 1/2 a cup gets left in the bottom these days (if you think that's tight, I used to tip the entire lot, kettle trub and all into the fermenter... :eek: ). If I tried to drain that low without a screen it would be a little bit more difficult. I use a lot of whole hops as well (sometimes 200-300grms in a 50 litre batch), that amount is sometimes difficult to keep away from the pickup and I don't want any of them getting through to the chiller. So it's horses for courses really. Works for me :), that's pretty much the basis for anything I make.

Dom,

With one of these you wouldn't need to have your pickup tube to the side ?

Rook

Thats a great looking product. My current outlet is actually in the centre, I was planning on blocking it up and putting a new one in the side. So you don't think this would be effective in stopping hop material going through if it was in the centre?

Thats a great looking product. My current outlet is actually in the centre, I was planning on blocking it up and putting a new one in the side. So you don't think this would be effective in stopping hop material going through if it was in the centre?
This one has been designed to attach to a 1/2" pickup tube at the side of the vessel. It would stop the hop material - it's just a matter of whether the hop material would stop the flow - if you know what I mean. In the centre is naturally where a whirlpool drops everything (I'm assuming you whirlpool, maybe you don't), and it would depend on the makeup of the hop trub (whole flowers/plugs/pellets etc and how much of each) how well the flow managed to get through it.
What sort of arrangement do you have at present to keep hops out? A false bottom over the outlet maybe?

Well I'm new to AG and only done 2 brews, the first I syphoned out over the side, the second time I just drained the entire lot, hot break, hops and all through the hole in the centre.

I'm just trying to work out how I can improve my system and incorporate the chiller

If you were going to stay with the hole in the centre, I'd recommend a dome false bottom to go over the hole, however I prefer the hole on the side so it avoids the whirlpool deposit. I also like being able to tip the kettle and drain it all down to the last glassfull.....
How do you heat the kettle? Wouldn't an outlet in the centre of the kettle get in the way of a burner? :huh: Electric?

Electric, see photos. It actually came with a domed copper cover for the element, I could probably cover this with a fine mesh where the existing holes are. But the copper seems dodgy and smells weird so I dont like the idea of boiling with it! I was thinking maybe replacing this with a similar dome of stainless mesh, one good point about this is it does drain every last drop without needing to tip.
DSC00067.JPGDSC00068.JPG
Anybody else got this same urn and what do you do?

Back