Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

Pre-Boiling water?

Discussion in 'Water' started by Edd, 7/5/18.

1. MHB

Posted 18/5/18
    There is a genetic dispersal, some people are very sensitive to Chlorophenols, some people aren't.
    I know I'm not very sensitive, so when I'm judging, if I can detect it other people might think its undrinkable.
    Mark
    BA Info worth bookmarking
    upload_2018-5-19_6-15-35.png

2. louistoo

Posted 19/5/18
    Strange you should say that about galaxy, at a recent brewclub meet I brought along an amber hopped with half a kilo of wet galaxy (19l) and had a couple of comments about a faint background phenolic thing going on. Hence my renewed interest on chlorine/chloramine removal, my routine involves letting the strike water sit maybe overnight and an amount (variable!) of sodium metabisulphite added. I use Hobart water specifically Moonah.

Edd likes this.
  3. Edd

Posted 20/5/18
    Really? I wonder if others have had that. Maybe something about the amount of oils in Galaxy that may pronounce the effect of chlorophenol.
    On a side note, I brewed yesterday with pre-boiled water and the added lactic, gypsum and epsoms for a hoppy pale ale. Might be coincidence but the hot break foam was an absolute beast! I had the cat travel basket on standby as it was certainly ready to climb out and head for the door...

bbqzookeeper and louistoo like this.
  4. MHB

Posted 20/5/18
    Probably has more to do with the hops not being dried out properly, leads to all sorts of strange flavours.

If it's a really foamy boil, its more likely to be a "Blue Mash" name comes from the wort failing the Iodine test (still showing Blue colour) that shows the wort still has unconverted starch. Always makes the wort foam like a daemon.
    Mark

louistoo likes this.
  5. Edd

Posted 21/5/18
    I guess that’s a possibility, the krausen is looking good and thick too.

6. ABG

Posted 7/11/18
    How much ascorbic acid would you recommend adding in addition to the 1/2 a campden tablet Mark (assuming you're treating 37.5L)? Also, do you filter your water in any way?

Finally for those that do filter their water, how do you adjust your water profile in Brewsmith, or program of your choice (i.e. how do you know how much Ca, Mg, Na, Cl, SO4 & HCO3 your filter is taking out)?

7. goatchop41

Posted 7/11/18
    A local pro brewer who claims to have a background in chemistry gave me these numbers for ascorbic acid:
    PPM of chloramine X 2.5g per 1000L of water = amount of ascorbic acid that you need to add.
    Your local water authority should be able to give you the PPM of chloramine - if it's a range, then just use the highest number. Around my way the highest is usually 3PPM.
    So, for 37.5L with a PPM of 3 for chloramine, you would need 3X2.5=7.5g per 1000L, which comes to 0.28g in 37.5L (7.5g / 1000 X 37.5 = 0.28g).

ABG likes this.
  8. goatchop41

Posted 7/11/18
    You'll definitely need speed dealer scales for measuring it out...ahem, I mean hop and water addition measuring scales ;)

Company of one likes this.
  9. ABG

Posted 7/11/18
    Just ordered myself a set. No doubt the drug squad will come busting down my door soon and be very interested in all the white powder I've got lying around. :D