Pre-Boiling water?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg, thanks for response. You can definitely smell the chlorine, I'm almost certain that its not Chloramine. I have done a bit of research and led to believe that its not used in our drinking water here. (Kinross, WA)
Snip
I get what is being said about others having different taste thresholds as some friends can taste it in my beer whereas others cannot see the problem. (Could be that they are A. Being too polite or B. They are used to dodgy beer!)
There is a genetic dispersal, some people are very sensitive to Chlorophenols, some people aren't.
I know I'm not very sensitive, so when I'm judging, if I can detect it other people might think its undrinkable.
Mark
BA Info worth bookmarking
upload_2018-5-19_6-15-35.png

You can definitely smell if your tap water supply has high levels of chlorine. By no means is it like walking into a public swimming pool but the faint odour will certainly present itself. I find that I notice it if I pour a glass of water (fresh drawn, agitated water), it’s there ever so briefly but if you stick your beak into it and have a big old drag you wouldn’t notice.
As for the extent it’s affecting my beer, it’s hard to describe. I am getting a pronounced chemical aftertaste to the beer, not harsh or bitter but it lingers and builds up the more you sip, for some reason much more prevalent in beers with high levels of galaxy hops (yeah, figure that one out!). It’s far more notable the warmer the beer, it’s not quite ‘band-aid’ in mine but it’s not something you would want to pay for the privilege of trying. And as @Matplat has mentioned, it doesn’t f##king disappear!
Strange you should say that about galaxy, at a recent brewclub meet I brought along an amber hopped with half a kilo of wet galaxy (19l) and had a couple of comments about a faint background phenolic thing going on. Hence my renewed interest on chlorine/chloramine removal, my routine involves letting the strike water sit maybe overnight and an amount (variable!) of sodium metabisulphite added. I use Hobart water specifically Moonah.

Really? I wonder if others have had that. Maybe something about the amount of oils in Galaxy that may pronounce the effect of chlorophenol.
On a side note, I brewed yesterday with pre-boiled water and the added lactic, gypsum and epsoms for a hoppy pale ale. Might be coincidence but the hot break foam was an absolute beast! I had the cat travel basket on standby as it was certainly ready to climb out and head for the door...

Probably has more to do with the hops not being dried out properly, leads to all sorts of strange flavours.

If it's a really foamy boil, its more likely to be a "Blue Mash" name comes from the wort failing the Iodine test (still showing Blue colour) that shows the wort still has unconverted starch. Always makes the wort foam like a daemon.
Mark

I guess that’s a possibility, the krausen is looking good and thick too.

Metabisulphite is more effective, arguably a blend of Ascorbic Acid and Metabisulphite is even more effective than either one alone.
The big advantage of Potassium Metabisulphite is the tablet form (Campden) containing 0.44g.
So if you wanted remove 3mg/L, always good to ad some extra I would be looking at adding about double 6mg/l
Say 35L at 6mg/L = 210mg, each tablet contains 444mG, so half a tablet would be 222mg - close enough.
Cheap, easy to use and to get a fairly controlled dose at about 5c/brew.
Mark

Oh
I went looking for Ascorbic Acid at a chemist, they had some but it was really expensive, the stuff in the health food section was Sodium Ascorbate, I'm not sure of the Cl scavenging properties of Sodium Ascorbate, But it has a different molecular mass so the dose rate wont be the same just worth being sure what you are getting when you ask for Vitamin C.
M

Just went and read the entry on NaMBS in Wikipedia it says 1 tablet will treat 75L, so about the same 1/2 a tablet in 37.5L...
M

How much ascorbic acid would you recommend adding in addition to the 1/2 a campden tablet Mark (assuming you're treating 37.5L)? Also, do you filter your water in any way?

Finally for those that do filter their water, how do you adjust your water profile in Brewsmith, or program of your choice (i.e. how do you know how much Ca, Mg, Na, Cl, SO4 & HCO3 your filter is taking out)?

How much ascorbic acid would you recommend adding in addition to the 1/2 a campden tablet Mark (assuming you're treating 37.5L)?

A local pro brewer who claims to have a background in chemistry gave me these numbers for ascorbic acid:
PPM of chloramine X 2.5g per 1000L of water = amount of ascorbic acid that you need to add.
Your local water authority should be able to give you the PPM of chloramine - if it's a range, then just use the highest number. Around my way the highest is usually 3PPM.
So, for 37.5L with a PPM of 3 for chloramine, you would need 3X2.5=7.5g per 1000L, which comes to 0.28g in 37.5L (7.5g / 1000 X 37.5 = 0.28g).

You'll definitely need speed dealer scales for measuring it out...ahem, I mean hop and water addition measuring scales ;)

Just ordered myself a set. No doubt the drug squad will come busting down my door soon and be very interested in all the white powder I've got lying around. :D

Back