Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.

Pre-Boiling water?

Discussion in 'Water' started by Edd, 7/5/18.

1. MHB

Posted 18/5/18
    There is a genetic dispersal, some people are very sensitive to Chlorophenols, some people aren't.
    I know I'm not very sensitive, so when I'm judging, if I can detect it other people might think its undrinkable.
    Mark
    BA Info worth bookmarking
    upload_2018-5-19_6-15-35.png

2. louistoo

Posted 19/5/18
    Strange you should say that about galaxy, at a recent brewclub meet I brought along an amber hopped with half a kilo of wet galaxy (19l) and had a couple of comments about a faint background phenolic thing going on. Hence my renewed interest on chlorine/chloramine removal, my routine involves letting the strike water sit maybe overnight and an amount (variable!) of sodium metabisulphite added. I use Hobart water specifically Moonah.

Edd likes this.
  3. Edd

Posted 20/5/18
    Really? I wonder if others have had that. Maybe something about the amount of oils in Galaxy that may pronounce the effect of chlorophenol.
    On a side note, I brewed yesterday with pre-boiled water and the added lactic, gypsum and epsoms for a hoppy pale ale. Might be coincidence but the hot break foam was an absolute beast! I had the cat travel basket on standby as it was certainly ready to climb out and head for the door...

louistoo likes this.
  4. MHB

Posted 20/5/18
    Probably has more to do with the hops not being dried out properly, leads to all sorts of strange flavours.

If it's a really foamy boil, its more likely to be a "Blue Mash" name comes from the wort failing the Iodine test (still showing Blue colour) that shows the wort still has unconverted starch. Always makes the wort foam like a daemon.
    Mark

louistoo likes this.
  5. Edd

Posted 21/5/18
    I guess that’s a possibility, the krausen is looking good and thick too.