Power sockets for Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mofox1 said:
Cheers - will appreciate the feedback.

Good info RE the plug. My lead is a "complete" 15A mains to IEC C20 from jaycar, so I'd would have assumed that the plug's contact resistance is appropriate... but it is certainly another worthwhile thing to check beforehand. (another item on the test list). I'd prefer not to burn fingers when changing the lead from HLT to kettle.

Mick
The contact resistance of the C20s will be fine (they're designed to tolerate 15A), I was just saying that even though contacts are metal it's surprising how easy it is to generate heat from a poor connection. If using a 10A plug putting 15A through it will almost certainly cause a hot joint.

TheWiggman said:
If using a 10A plug putting 15A through it will almost certainly cause a hot joint.
You sure about this? the current will heat the cable evenly resisantce at 1 point will create a heating element at that point.

I thought that's what I said?
In OP's case he's* used a 15A rated cable but not the plug. The plug's getting hot.
* assumes Frothy is a bloke. Never know these days.

You miss my point if the cable is not big enough the entire cable will get hot and burn. If the connection on any size cable is good resistance is low there will not be any power consumed. Make a high resistance joint and at that point power will be consumed. The element has resistance that how they work. a loose corroded or broken cable creates resistance that is why it gets hot.

Feedback - the aluminium box got to 70°C on the inside part facing the kettle about 5 mins after the boil (forgot to measure during). It was cooler on the outside faces. You could probably get away with the C20s.

Note that I am not an electrician.

Great, thanks mate. I guess this is why it is not one of those "known issues".

Now, if only I could find the time to put together some of my build... (if it weren't for those meddling kids!)

I've got a pair of 3 year old twins and a 4 year old. Early bed for them, smash the cleaning and out to the shed with me. That's about the only time I get a chance to do stuff.
Or skip the cleaning part and say "I'll do it before bed". Then later disregard previous comment.

MAKE the time! What comes before brewing?

I do my brewing at night after I put my baby to bed. My older two watch scooby doo movies. That leaves the weekends free to take the kids somewhere or catch up on all the other hobbies.

Hey! I didn't say I wasn't brewing. I bottled the swap last night... And haven't cleaned up my mess yet.

It's a constant battle between making beer, cleaning up the next day, bottling beer, cleaning up the next day, watching syfy channel downloads, building kit and understanding what isn't going to happen if I don't spend time with the wife. :blink:

Tonight I hope to encourage spouse participation (this isn't going were you think it is) by assisting with the brew bench and garage shelf assembly. After cleaning up last night's mess anyway.

Latest posts

Back