Power saving - kegerator on a timer switch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Hi all - just picked up a new kegerator fridge. However it is a reasonalbly old fridge so probably not all that economical on power.

Given that most beer is best served around 6-8degrees-ish does the fridge really need to run all the time.

I was wondering if anyone has tried running their keg fridge on a timer switch so it isnt running all the time.

My theory is that it is a big insulated box that once chilled should hold temp fairly well.

Plan A
Run it on a timer switch so that it only ran during peak beer drinking time - say 11am to about 8pm. Even if it switched off at 8pm the fridge isnt goignt o heat up to much after that.

Plan B
Alternatively I could take advantage of the off peak electricity rates an let it run overnight turned down to the chilliest temp. Obvoulsy it is going to depend on location and climate etc - but maybe it would keep the beer faily cool through the day.

Thoughts????

Keezers are quite efficient, if you have it running on an STC-1000. I am assuming the STC will also help a regular fridge?

I know QLD Kev has gone through a topic somewhere and itemised his power usage, on old and new fridges.. and also on computers and solar water systems etc.

You can buy a power meter from jay car and get the usage and work out costs etc as well

go for a temp controller (brain fade can't remember what there called ) that we use on fermenting fridges, on my freezer, that way you can set the temp to 7 Degrees, with a 2-3 degree acceptance (i.e it will be between 7 and 10 degrees. I run my probe in a bottle of water so opening the fridge won't change the temp drastically.

Jurt said:
Keezers are quite efficient, if you have it running on an STC-1000. I am assuming the STC will also help a regular fridge?

I know QLD Kev has gone through a topic somewhere and itemised his power usage, on old and new fridges.. and also on computers and solar water systems etc.

You can buy a power meter from jay car and get the usage and work out costs etc as well

mxd said:
go for a temp controller (brain fade can't remember what there called ) that we use on fermenting fridges, on my freezer, that way you can set the temp to 7 Degrees, with a 2-3 degree acceptance (i.e it will be between 7 and 10 degrees. I run my probe in a bottle of water so opening the fridge won't change the temp drastically.
+1

Keg fridges generally use bugger all electricity as the door is open infrequently and the fridge generally contains a large volume of cold liquid in it.

I have a small bar fridge that has a one star rating as my keg fridge (yes, one star, it is inefficient). I recently attached a power meter to it to check the usage. The door on my fridge usually opens about twice a week. Depending on what's in there the stc is set at somewhere between 4 and 6 degrees.

Average weekly usage for my keg fridge is 4.2kw hours. So the average cost is 4.2kwh x $0.19 per kWh = $0.80 per week.

Back