Powell's Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of.

Does anyone know hat has happened to their website?

Seems to have dissapeared :huh:

All links I have bookmarked and al I can find on the net end up at some luggage site. Has their site been hijacked?

http://www.powellsmalt.com/

cheers
johnno

Speaking of.

All links I have bookmarked and al I can find on the net end up at some luggage site. Has their site been hijacked?

cheers
johnno

:lol: Found that website myself Johnno. Maybe Powells have bought some luggage and done the same as Mr. Mokbel? :ph34r:

Warren -

Speaking of.

cheers
johnno

:lol: Found that website myself Johnno. Maybe Powells have bought some luggage and done the same as Mr. Mokbel? :ph34r:

Warren -

Maybe it is a Con-Spiro-See :ph34r:

:lol: :lol:
Maybe we should get together and refresh your memory.
I need to ask - is this a result of brewing in Aluminium :eek:
Cheers

Sorry what was the question?

Steve

It would be excellent if it was Boundary Rd.Braeside,a 1 minute trip to resupply :D

I really enjoy the flavours of Powell's malts.

I gave this malt a run yesterday by knocking out a basic pale ale to see how it goes.
The recipe, as follows;

Powell's ale 4.5 kg
Crystal 120L 0.25kg

Amarillo 25g @ 8.2% a/a 60 min
Cluster 20g @ 7.9% a/a 30 min
Amarillo 10g @ 8.2% a/a 10 min
Cluster 10g @7.7% a/a 5 min

Irish moss 0.5 tsp 10 min

American ale yeast, 1056

Protein rest @ 49 deg. 20 minutes
Mash @ 66 deg 40 minutes
Mash out @ 77 deg 20 minutes
Boil 60 minutes

Was aiming for 23 litres at 1048 ended up with 25 litres @ 1042. According to Beersmith, an efficiency of 71.85%.

I think next time I will do the mash for a full 60 minutes to see if efficiency can get ~75 - 80%

Now I just need to wait to get a taste!

Are they still producing?

Scotty

They kind of disappeared there for a while. I must say I thought their malt was excellent, with the one exception that it produced very low efficiencies. If they could address this issue and get it up there with the likes of JW or BB in terms of efficiency I would buy it with my ears pinned back!

Found em !
Powells Malts
Fcty6/ 233 Boundary Rd Braeside VIC 3195
(03) 9587 7148

Thanks for the address razz,i did a bit of drive up and down, to try and find them, to no avail.

Will be able to restock in minutes now :D

Happy grain buyer here.

Old thread, but to help anyone wanting to go to powells maltings : Its factory 6 of 233 boundry Rd. However not that easy to find. There is a driveway between "playhouse" (a pool bar i think) and "Snap printing" drive down there (there is some factory roller doors but little signage) so drive 30m or so until just before the gate/dirt road and powells is on the right side just before the gate. There is a A4 page in the window saying powells.

Ring before you go to ensure Grant has it in stock (25kg bags $40)
Today there was ale and pils.

(this is not a plug blah blah blah i dont work there etc just some help - as i drove around for ages to find it)

Old thread, but to help anyone wanting to go to powells maltings : Its factory 6 of 233 boundry Rd. However not that easy to find. There is a driveway between "playhouse" (a pool bar i think) and "Snap printing" drive down there (there is some factory roller doors but little signage) so drive 30m or so until just before the gate/dirt road and powells is on the right side just before the gate. There is a A4 page in the window saying powells.

Ring before you go to ensure Grant has it in stock (25kg bags $40)
Today there was ale and pils.

(this is not a plug blah blah blah i dont work there etc just some help - as i drove around for ages to find it)

tempting to get myself some ale malt there one day soon just to give it a crack. Hows the quality control these days with particulate matter/stones in the baggie?!

Hey Gout,

Very good idea that post - we popped down late last year and did quite a few laps of Boundary road before we found the factory.

4^2, our stuff has been pretty good - we got ~120kg of Munich, Pale, Pilsner and Wheat for $180. No rocks... We're only getting 61% efficiency; but there's no way I'm blaming the malt on that - we're still learning this game!

I just love it that we're getting it from the man who gets it from the farmer.

It was a great experience meeting Grant and having a bit of a tour of his malting operation.

Cheers

Breezy

i have not used it since 2006 (when i moved away) but i am told its better and i hope its true. I will update on the weekend when i brew with it. I used to love their ale malt, and its at a good price

Edit: i want to go back when they have some wheat, munich and i am not sure what else they still sell (used to have a cara and vienna)

tempting to get myself some ale malt there one day soon just to give it a crack. Hows the quality control these days with particulate matter/stones in the baggie?!

I have had no issues with the quality of grain from them, efficiency no different to Joe White or any other base grains I have used.

I have had no issues with the quality of grain from them, efficiency no different to Joe White or any other base grains I have used.

Done any straight base malt beers? Whats the palate like on it say comparable to JW Ale / Pils?

I have a bag of Powell's Ale (mostly empty now) and Pils malt here, but like Breezy too have been having efficiency issues (but that could also be due to new gear/techniques as much as anything else).
But have not noticed stones/particulates, just a few stalks and the like, but that's pretty normal.

Latest posts

Back