Powell's Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry stuster, your right, nothing negative on this thread... yet. can we please keep it that way.

So it is better to deny him a fair assessment?

I believe if we have experiences positive or otherwise we should share them. After all that is the whole point of these threads is it not?

Yep, bulk buy of Powells. I'll start a new fun thread on that as soon as you break par on your local course. :ph34r:

Shot 62 for the first time around my local course last weekend -

pity it's only a nine hole course.

I see Powells deliver free to Melbourne. Maybe we should organise a buy in October when we go for the conference ?

Hi Chiller,
What were the time breaks you used for that stepped mash????
Cheers

Hi Geoff,

To be honest I'm not certain but these would be very close

50 for 20 minutes

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-4.html

"Malted barley also contains a lot of amino acid chains which form the simple proteins needed by the germinating plant. In the wort, these proteins are instead utilized by the yeast for their growth and development. Most wort proteins, including some enzymes like the amylases, are not soluble until the mash reaches temperatures associated with the protein rest (113-131F). The two main proteolytic enzymes responsible are peptidase and protease. Peptidase works to provide the wort with amino acid nutrients that will be used by the yeast. Protease works to break up the larger proteins which enhances the head retention of beer and reduces haze. In fully modified malts, these enzymes have done their work during the malting process.

The temperature and pH ranges for these two proteolytic enzymes overlap. The optimum pH range is 4.2 - 5.3 and both enzymes are active enough between 113 - 131F that talking about an optimum range for each is not relevant. This optimum pH range is a bit low with respect to most mashes, but the typical mash pH of 5.3 is not out of the ballpark. There is no need to attempt to lower the mash pH to facilitate the use of these enzymes. The typical Protein Rest at 120 - 130F is used to break up proteins which might otherwise cause chill haze and can improve the head retention. This rest should only be used when using moderately-modified malts, or when using fully modified malts with a large proportion (>25%) of unmalted grain, e.g. flaked barley, wheat, rye, or oatmeal. Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer. The standard time for a protein rest is 20 - 30 minutes."

For the Farenheit challenged 113 - 131F is 45 - 55c

63 for 30 minutes

68 for 30 minutes

I use direct heat on the tun and allow about 5 - 10 minutes between rests to get to the next temperature.

Don't extend the 50 much past 20, the others can easily be increased to 40 minutes each if you want.

Hope that is helpful

Steve

Sounds to me like the lad has picked himself up a bargain. Nice work!
But did u ever think about the poor retailer that missed out on his chop! You bulk buy blokes all bleed the same colour :p

...............................Now how can I get a load delivered to Newcastle? :eek:

Steve

That's easy Steve.......... organise a bulk buy

Andrew
Thnks for the offer Andrew but we have a great local HB Shop in Newcastle (MHB). That reminds me he has some Weyermanns Premium Pils on the way so I can do another one of your famous 60/40/20 Pilsners. Best move I ever made!

Steve

Thnks for the offer Andrew but we have a great local HB Shop in Newcastle (MHB). That reminds me he has some Weyermanns Premium Pils on the way so I can do another one of your famous 60/40/20 Pilsners. Best move I ever made!

Steve

Good on you for supporting your local, maybe at some point MHB will stock Powells as well, it would make him one of the few HB shops to do that I think.

Go the Pilsners :D

Cheers
Andrew

Speaking of Pilsners, I am drinking my firat CAP at the moment. WOW how good is this. Simple grain bill, pitched and fermented cold and it turned out crisp and clear something very different. I will be doing this one again, well worth a crack if have not done one I'd say!

4500.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 75.00 %
1500.00 gm Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 25.00 %
60.00 gm Tettnang [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 24.1 IBU
60.00 gm Tettnang [4.10 %] (15 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Speaking of Pilsners, I am drinking my firat CAP at the moment. WOW how good is this. Simple grain bill, pitched and fermented cold and it turned out crisp and clear something very different. I will be doing this one again, well worth a crack if have not done one I'd say!

4500.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 75.00 %
1500.00 gm Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 25.00 %
60.00 gm Tettnang [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 24.1 IBU
60.00 gm Tettnang [4.10 %] (15 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Hmmm,

Looks like I have to put another order in for ingredients, thanks for that Steve.
What mash regime did you use?

Andrew

I think some of you blokes are getting off topic here.

Rook

I was going to go all FLASH with stepped infusions but common sense prevailed and I just ended up single infusing nice and warm at 67 to maintain some body. I did not want to risk compromising head retention with a protein rest. I did consider a 10 or 15 min rest at 62 then 45mins at 72 but the results speak for themselves.

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 74.9 C - 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 90.5 C - 75.6 C

Steve

I think some of you blokes are getting off topic here.

Rook

Sorry

Hi Geoff,

To be honest I'm not certain but these would be very close

50 for 20 minutes

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-4.html

"Malted barley also contains a lot of amino acid chains which form the simple proteins needed by the germinating plant. In the wort, these proteins are instead utilized by the yeast for their growth and development. Most wort proteins, including some enzymes like the amylases, are not soluble until the mash reaches temperatures associated with the protein rest (113-131F). The two main proteolytic enzymes responsible are peptidase and protease. Peptidase works to provide the wort with amino acid nutrients that will be used by the yeast. Protease works to break up the larger proteins which enhances the head retention of beer and reduces haze. In fully modified malts, these enzymes have done their work during the malting process.

The temperature and pH ranges for these two proteolytic enzymes overlap. The optimum pH range is 4.2 - 5.3 and both enzymes are active enough between 113 - 131F that talking about an optimum range for each is not relevant. This optimum pH range is a bit low with respect to most mashes, but the typical mash pH of 5.3 is not out of the ballpark. There is no need to attempt to lower the mash pH to facilitate the use of these enzymes. The typical Protein Rest at 120 - 130F is used to break up proteins which might otherwise cause chill haze and can improve the head retention. This rest should only be used when using moderately-modified malts, or when using fully modified malts with a large proportion (>25%) of unmalted grain, e.g. flaked barley, wheat, rye, or oatmeal. Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer. The standard time for a protein rest is 20 - 30 minutes."

For the Farenheit challenged 113 - 131F is 45 - 55c

63 for 30 minutes

68 for 30 minutes

I use direct heat on the tun and allow about 5 - 10 minutes between rests to get to the next temperature.

Don't extend the 50 much past 20, the others can easily be increased to 40 minutes each if you want.

Hope that is helpful

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that info.
I have been reading / studying Gregory Noonans book on dealing with under modified malts and I have some powells malt that I would like to use up.
I have the equipment to do a stepped mash so I will give it a go.

Cheers

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that info.
I have been reading / studying Gregory Noonans book on dealing with under modified malts and I have some powells malt that I would like to use up.
I have the equipment to do a stepped mash so I will give it a go.

Cheers

You may need to allow for a small loss in efficiency but you will be happy with the result. I know I was. I don't think we can get it here in SA/Adelaide.

Funny you should mention that book by Noonan, I was looking at that again last night myself. They mention something about lagers and lagering but for the life of me I cannot work out what they mean :)

Hope you have great success

Steve

Funny you should mention that book by Noonan, I was looking at that again last night myself. They mention something about lagers and lagering but for the life of me I cannot work out what they mean :)

Hope you have great success

Steve

:lol: :lol:
Maybe we should get together and refresh your memory.
I need to ask - is this a result of brewing in Aluminium :eek:
Cheers

I've heard on the grapevine that they are moving premises and upgrading their equipment? Can anyone confirm/deny?

Q

You're right, they are/have moved. This is there last week in Romsey. When I was there, they were doing their second last batch out of the kiln.

Powells have moved their maltings to Boundary Road Bayside. Contact; Michael Powell 0414611114 [email protected]

Sounds like most have had pretty positive results from using their malts, I'll get a recipe together to knock out a batch over the weekend.

Cheers.

Could be???

It was noisy and I did have 4 kids and the wife nagging to get me out of there...

I hope he means Breaside, that's where Boundary Rd is. (amongst other places) and conveniently located in the southern suburbs of Melbourne. Just a 30 minute drive from home. Now that I think of it, it's the next suburb from where Bintani is located.

What do I know about Mexico?? Just a poor Banana Bender myself! ;)

Back