Powell's Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hopefully brew a all powells ale this weekend and report back. The taste test will need to wait until its ready but i recall it was nice (the ale was my fav.)

I recently did two small test batches comparing two malts I hadn't tried before; Powell's Ale Malt and Simpson's Maris Otter.

Both were brewed to 3.7-3.8% abv and were a simple SMASH with 20 IBUs of EKG.

Powell's came out very clean and pale, a nice simple beer with nowhere to hide flaws.
For me there was not much in the way of residual malt flavour compared to the Maris Otter (which blew my mind).
I can see Powells would be great in hop driven beers, but I decided to buy a sack of Maris Otter for my mainly english style ales.
That said, the test recipe I used was very simple, and I bet you could make a delightful beer with some specialty malts thrown in for malt backbone.
Efficiency was a little lower with the Powells, with an OG of 3pts below the maris otter.

Done any straight base malt beers? Whats the palate like on it say comparable to JW Ale / Pils?

Back