Powell's Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am always amazed as to how many home brewers know so much more than one of the country's best maltster's.

Don't think there were any negative comments in this thread, tin pot, except in regards to the low (but variable) efficiency. Maybe they've sorted that out over the last year or two though. Sydney bulk buy? :lol:

+1 for the malt for the price per kg.
AHB members went thru tonnes of the stuff a few years back before a few issues.
Just chase the right setting for the crush & just up the grist kg's a bit.

Let us now how you go with it.

- Luke

I used Powell's for a couple of years until my LHBS stopped stocking it.
Just include a protein rest and you won't have any problems.
For mine the quality was as good as any other local malt, maybe better.

Opportunity for the kids, was the main reason. That and the fact I didn't want cooked cabbage and rotten egg smells permeating my beers from the pulp mill they are building just up the road from where we lived :angry:

Well done Hashie, sounds like you have settled in fairly quickly.

Let us know how the malt turns out.

Also Bendigo has to be far better than Narre Warren ( I'd sooner live in Broadmeadows ) :p

Rook

i am always amazed as to how many home brewers know so much more than one of the country's best maltster's.

Hey tin pot. Talk about for argument's sake. :eek:

Couldn't see it getting a bum rap anywhere. Just one homebrewer asking his/her fellow homebrewers about their experiences with it. Any deep, dark secrets you care to quantify? All comments welcome. :)

Warren -

I used it when it was first available and quickly learned to do a 50,63,and 68 step mash with it. The finished beer was excellent and once you adapted to the malt and accepted it was different to handle there was nothing different about it.

I would say those used to step mashing or decoction will love the malt.

If it was available here in Adelaide i would certainly use it. Is it???? :)

Steve

Don't think there were any negative comments in this thread, tin pot, except in regards to the low (but variable) efficiency. Maybe they've sorted that out over the last year or two though. Sydney bulk buy? :lol:

Stu, I can't believe you are putting your hand up to sort out another bulk buy!Great work :p
Maybe you should start it off as a new topic, somehow bulk-buys get things going sideways really quick. <_<
Cheers & Good Luck Stu
Gerard

I think Stuster lives for the thrill of abuse and last minute order changes. :lol:

Warren -

I used it when it was first available and quickly learned to do a 50,63,and 68 step mash with it. The finished beer was excellent and once you adapted to the malt and accepted it was different to handle there was nothing different about it.

Steve

I'm to lazy to do a search, but what are the reasons some malts give better efficiency than others?

Rook

I'm to lazy to do a search, but what are the reasons some malts give better efficiency than others?

Rook

Probably the level (or more the consistency) of modification. Big malsters like Barrett Burston and Joe White's have a wealth of technology, staff and equipment on their hands and a client base who probably demand fingerprinted specs batch to batch.

Powells are a little more of a cottage industry (traditional I guess). I suppose it makes for a slightly less "consistent" product. End result is the malt flavour is pretty much up there with the big boys. You've just got to massage the efficiency a little.

Warren -

Probably the level (or more the consistency) of modification. Big malsters like Barrett Burston and Joe White's have a wealth of technology, staff and equipment on their hands and a client base who probably demand fingerprinted specs batch to batch.

Powells are a little more of a cottage industry (traditional I guess). I suppose it makes for a slightly less "consistent" product. End result is the malt flavour is pretty much up there with the big boys. You've just got to massage the efficiency a little.

Warren -

From what I've heard they still floormalt, which is great, but it also makes for more variable results.

I've heard on the grapevine that they are moving premises and upgrading their equipment? Can anyone confirm/deny?

Q

Rook

Google is your friend. If you are lazy then you won't learn.

Stu, I can't believe you are putting your hand up to sort out another bulk buy!Great work.

Yep, bulk buy of Powells. I'll start a new fun thread on that as soon as you break par on your local course. :ph34r:

(Actually, considering all the practice you are getting maybe I'm being slightly rash. It is pitch n put, right? :lol: )

Steve

Hi Chiller,
What were the time breaks you used for that stepped mash????
Cheers

Yep, bulk buy of Powells. I'll start a new fun thread on that as soon as you break par on your local course. :ph34r:
(Actually, considering all the practice you are getting maybe I'm being slightly rash. It is pitch n put, right? :lol: )

Stu
I shot 3 over last Thursday which isn't so bad considering I didn't bother doing any serious practice until the weekend :D
But as you have put it out there I now have a goal. I have to get my handicap again as I haven't played comp golf in so long. the handicap had blown out to 4 when I finished playing so I am not expecting much this time around! B)

Now back on topic, I would be more than happy to have a look at Powells for our new brewery, due to our ability to step- mash. OK, got to get electricity on first.

Cheers
Gerard

Google is your friend. If you are lazy then you won't learn.

Point taken, but i believed you said they same thing when you came back on line.....asked instead of googling :D

Rook

Now back on topic, I would be more than happy to have a look at Powells for our new brewery, due to our ability to step- mash. OK, got to get electricity on first.

How are you step-mashing now? :p :p

sorry stuster, your right, nothing negative on this thread... yet. can we please keep it that way.

Latest posts

Back