Pouring Your Pride And Joy!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sama

Reaction score
Might sound a bit strange but what is your prefered pouring technique of bottle to glass.....I read somewhere were a good beer pour starts with a heavy sloshing of the beer into the glass ,compacting the head and letting it settle... Do u think the pouring technique has an effect on flavour? I find a nice slow pour with a "quickening" at the end gives me dare i say,a slightly different taste,to the slosh and settle technique :huh: oh theres so much time so little to do! <_<

I think my pouring method really depends on the style of beer and the glassware.

Most lagers and pale ales I'm happy to pour at a reasonably fast constant rate into any sort of glass.
As opposed to wheat beers, especially hefeweizens into weizen-style glasses, which are very lively with carbornation and will land you with a good 4 inch head if you don't pour it slow and steadily. Same deal with most Belgian-style beers.
And then, of course, when it comes to more robust beers, like your bitters, stouts and big strong ales, I pull out the wide-mouthed glasses and let fly once i'm sure that it won't spurt out at a million miles an hour.

I bottle in 2L PET so it's bottle to 3L jug to glass. PET is great because you can cradle one in the crook of your arm and pour very gently into the jug with no glugging, and if I pour with a white background (My white plastic chopping board makes a good background :D ) I can see the yeast 'blob' clearly as it approaches the neck of the bottle so I can usually get perfectly bright beer into the jug.

Then with lightly carbonated beers like dark ale I pour a fairly fast slug into a glass and get a nice creamy collar. With more highly carbed beer like lagers I pour smoothly into glass and let the beer generate its own head.

Agree 100% with Muggus.I serve into the correct glass for style.

Definitely can pick up the nuances of the style this way.I'd drink a lager from a variety of glasses,but would never drink a Weiss or Duvel out of style.

Latest posts

Back