Potato battered chicken

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamh

Reaction score
Good morning everyone

When I was in Prague and madly drinking any Budvar I could find I went to a restaurant with SWMBO and ordered an interesting sounding dish - Potato battered chicken. It was the most amazing beer food ever! It was essentially chicken breast (or thighs maybe) battered with a mashed potato like batter and deep fried so it was crispy on the outside.

I tried to make it at home - couldn't find anything on the net so just made it up - mashed some potato and mixed it with some flour egg and water to make a batter. While it was really nice, the batter didn't really stick. I also used the batter with egg plant (deep fried egg plant is sooo good) and zucchini.

I haven't tried it a second time because deep frying is a lot of work for cleaning up. I do want to try it again though. Has anyone had anything like it before? Let me know if you have any ideas :)

Cheers

Did you just put the chicken straight into the batter. If so, next time I would try it a bit like when you crumb fish with three steps. First, roll chicken in dry flour, then in beaten egg, then in your batter - might help the batter stick better.

earle said:
Did you just put the chicken straight into the batter. If so, next time I would try it a bit like when you crumb fish with three steps. First, roll chicken in dry flour, then in beaten egg, then in your batter - might help the batter stick better.
I think I did it like that - I treated it like a schnitzel essentially. It was a while ago can't remember exactly

Adam Breuer said:
I think I did it like that - I treated it like a schnitzel essentially. It was a while ago can't remember exactly
Did you consume a reasonable amount of beer when you did...?

Hmmm, an interesting question on what is a reasonable amount of beer.....

And is it the recipe or the amount of beer that makes it good?

Mmmmmmm chicken potato beer

With eggs too.

In this case, the chicken does come before the egg, unless you count the cracking and beating

Unless your fillets are tenderized of course, then it all switches around, and who knows what the philosophical answer could be

Was it Halal....

Is it suitable for vegans.....

So many questions....

Isn't potato flour just potato starch? Certainly is in Chinese cooking but I haven't tried the other stuff. If it is just starch then freeze dried potato flakes or instant mashed potatoes are used in a lot of the recipes i found when checking out your idea.

I thought potato flour was like corn flour- more of a thickening agent. I'd go with the potato flakes and do the schnitzel one after the other method, of flour, egg and potato flake.
Cheers

Adam Breuer said:
Wet sticks to dry, but wet doesn't stick well to wet. So for a schnitzel, flour, egg then breadcrumbs but for a batter, flour then straight into the batter (no egg wash, not even positive you need the flour).

Black n Tan said:
And Fish Fingers or Spam ham steaks and the meal is complete!
I made fish finger burgers for the kids last night.

So much better than the Golden Arches version

I highly recommend Nando's Perinaise on them....bloody beautifull

Actually don't write off using deb. Dried flaked potato is used widely as a thickner in foods, is flavour nuetral and great as a substitute to flour in stews and soup.
Trick to making crumbs and coating stick is to chill the crumbed item for at least half an hour before cooking. Tip to the best parmies....

Latest posts

Back