Posting Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of interest, how does beer travel on bumpy roads ? I'm going bush soon and will be off the beaten track at times, with two crates of glass-bottled beer in the boot. Obviously there's going to be disturbed sediment issues (that doesnt bother me) but is there any chance of all that movement disturbing the yeast to a point where I might have bottle bombs on my hands ?
I had the good fortune to take a box of my brews (in glass tallies) from Toowoomba to St George (about 5 hours of rough, but bitumen roads) a few weeks ago in an empty body truck with fairly hard suspension. My neck is still tender from it. Like you are now, I was kind of worried that there would be this almighty bang and a nice, but disappointing squirt of frothy beer all through the cab (a rental, mind you) as I'd had a few gushers in the batch, but thankfully they made it intact. I popped them into the motel fridge on the way through town and when we opened them later that evening they were just fine. All gone, tasted just brilliant, no gushers and there were no sediment issues, not that that would worry me either.

I worried all the way there to a point that I wanted to stop and open one, mind you, just from the WH&S aspect and to check and see if they were going to be allright... :D

I posted a bottle today in a wine pack. It was a schofferhoffer bottle and it seemed to fit perfectly (no extra required). Time will tell.

Back