Post your 2017 GABS pics here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer and cheese.

Heading home now, I reckon a Coopers pale is in order now!

1495349375250.jpg

All done, pretty sad looking only a few hours after closing time today!

20170521_202534.jpg

GABS Melbourne was awesome. I'd done the Sydney one a few years ago and have to say the Melbourne one is way better due to the venue and location.

SWMBO and I had season passes as the mistake was made last time of only doing one session (that led to 50 beers in short order and blotto by the end). This time I was able to take my time and got around to 87 beers over 3 sessions. Did Friday afternoon, Friday night and Silly Hat Sunday. I preferred the afternoon sessions as they were a little quieter and more laid back. Silly hat Sunday was a lot of fun also.

The pic below with the two half pours is my side by side comparison of 120 Bombastic Monastic, Belgian Dark Strong Ale by Sierra Nevada and 123 The Mountie Maple Imperial Stout by Stockade. These were my two favorites from those I'd tried and I initially had 120 as my pick for people's choice, however a friend had picked 123. So early on in my third session I did the side by side comparison. I honestly couldn't split them. I ended up voting for the Sierra Nevada as it was my first pick, but both were exceptional.

Side note on the half pours, she told me they would be half pours due to ABV (10.4% and 12% respectively), all good, then she forgot and poured full glasses. Sadly she realised as she was handing them over, I said it was all good, I wouldn't tell. She poured out the excess! I nearly cried.

helmet purple.jpg

Helmet wheel.jpg

showdown.jpg

Fraser's BRB said:
GABS Melbourne was awesome. I'd done the Sydney one a few years ago and have to say the Melbourne one is way better due to the venue and location.

SWMBO and I had season passes as the mistake was made last time of only doing one session (that led to 50 beers in short order and blotto by the end). This time I was able to take my time and got around to 87 beers over 3 sessions. Did Friday afternoon, Friday night and Silly Hat Sunday. I preferred the afternoon sessions as they were a little quieter and more laid back. Silly hat Sunday was a lot of fun also.

The pic below with the two half pours is my side by side comparison of 120 Bombastic Monastic, Belgian Dark Strong Ale by Sierra Nevada and 123 The Mountie Maple Imperial Stout by Stockade. These were my two favorites from those I'd tried and I initially had 120 as my pick for people's choice, however a friend had picked 123. So early on in my third session I did the side by side comparison. I honestly couldn't split them. I ended up voting for the Sierra Nevada as it was my first pick, but both were exceptional.

Side note on the half pours, she told me they would be half pours due to ABV (10.4% and 12% respectively), all good, then she forgot and poured full glasses. Sadly she realised as she was handing them over, I said it was all good, I wouldn't tell. She poured out the excess! I nearly cried.
haha - love the pics!

Back