Post Keg Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzla

Reaction score
Hi, My latest brew fermented for 3 weeks at around 20 0C (no SG's taken but healthy bubbling going on for most the time))

1 tin Coopers Mex
500g DME
200 g corn syrup powder
600g dex
about 4 g Sarz @ 30 min and 4 g @ 0 min
1 pk SE 40

This has been kegged and gassed but tastes too sweet for my liking

Question is can I boil up a few grams (say 10g for 20 min) of hops, releive the keg pressure and drop the filtered hops water in, leave for a day or to and try start drinking again or is this too easy.

Cheers Tom

Yeah you can do that, it's that easy.

It's a bit hit and miss, but i've done it quite a bit when things haven't turned out how i was expecting. Some results were good, some not so good.

An easy way to filter it is use a coffee plunger ( french press) and just add the liquid....
That way you won't have any problems with hop debris ( which may or may not block your keg dip tube)
You could also use hops in a "tea ball".Just make sure it is all stainless contruction...you don't want anything that could rust in there...
Cheers
Ferg

I dropped in about 30-40 grams of goldings flowers into a CPA keg. ******* nice!

Hi, My latest brew fermented for 3 weeks at around 20 0C (no SG's taken but healthy bubbling going on for most the time))

1 tin Coopers Mex
500g DME
200 g corn syrup powder
600g dex
about 4 g Sarz @ 30 min and 4 g @ 0 min
1 pk SE 40

This has been kegged and gassed but tastes too sweet for my liking

Question is can I boil up a few grams (say 10g for 20 min) of hops, releive the keg pressure and drop the filtered hops water in, leave for a day or to and try start drinking again or is this too easy.

Cheers Tom

if you are trying to increase bitterness to balance the sweetness then you will probably not succeed by just boiling the hops in plain water

in this instance you could try adding liquid hop extract

I dry hopped a bunch of galaxy flowers into a keg (no boiling etc) and it certainly tasted more bitter (I probably put 25g into a half empty keg).
I know dry hopping doesnt add any ibu but it certainly made it taste more bitter.

Latest posts

Back