Post Chill Re-Heating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technobabble66

Meat Popsicle
Reaction score
Warning: this might all be silly speculation.

Basically i'm wondering if there's any benefit from doing a re-heat of the wort after chilling it after Flameout.

What i currently do is circulate the wort at flameout through a plate chiller back into the kettle. This drops the temp from 100°C to ~80°C within a few minutes, then down to 65°C after another several mins. Maybe 10mins overall.
What i then normally do is stand it for 20mins (after throwing in my "0min" addition), then whirlpool for 20mins, then drain into the FV at 22°C.
I do this to halt the bittering from late hops ASAP, and make my recipes as reliable & close to predicted on the spreadsheet. And i like to throw in lots of late hops, but don't like overly-bitter beers.
TBH, i'm really chasing maximum hops flavour, rather than aroma or bitterness. This technique hopefully allows me to do lots of 15-20mins additions, and then add even more at flameout for both aroma and flavour impact without making it too bitter.

Now i was speculating that if "flavour" additions are added at 20mins, i'm assuming the volatile oils and other constituents need to boil into the wort and convert into other compounds under the higher temps and longer time to produce the particular flavour impact. As opposed to say 5 or 0min additions that are more "aroma" additions - i'm assuming those aforementioned constituents haven't had enough time at 100°C to convert to the more flavoursome compounds.
Basically, i need to be boiling the hops constituents for a moderate while to get the flavour impact i want.

So i was wondering if there'd be any benefit from switching the heat back on once i'd dropped the wort down to 55°C or so.
My thinking was that at those temps, the flameout hops have their oils etc easily extracted, and yet it's still well below the volatility point of the oils at least (until the wort goes over ~65°C), and so these constituents stay dissolved in the wort. As the heat comes off the element at the base of the urn it causes boiling at the surface of the element. These bubbles then collapse as they rise up through the cooler wort. So the volatiles that should boil off, don't. Instead they stay in the wort and hopefully go through the process of boiling at 100°C at the element surface, then dissolving back into the wort (while it stays below ~65°C).

So it really comes down to whether it's worth doing this faffing around to optimise the flavour impact or is this basically a really complicated way of replicating either FWH additions or the simple 20mins additions?
The clincher is that the FWHs boils for just waaay too long. Whereas the 20mins additions are great, but a lot of potential is lost by volatizing the oils off.
This technique is aimed at maximising the flavour impact of all of whatever's in the hops.
The minor down-side is the bitterness will also be increased at the same rate, but i'm hoping the flavour impact would be relatively greater overall.

Thoughts? either from experience or science?

Hi mate, where are you getting 55 & 65C from? I thought most people saw 80C as the low limit for whirlpool and 0 min additions?

In which case, I think to emulate say some of the american or Aus breweries that make good hoppy beers, are you just talking about say doing a 20 min whirlpool at say 90C instead of 're-heating'?

I think a lot of the extraction of flavour and aroma decreases exponentially after 80C so you really want to be in that 100C - 80C zone and may be missing quite a bit if you are just doing your 0 mins at 65. Happy to be corrected though.

In relation to Pats comments, the following are the percentages of isomerisation as compared to boiling wort at different temperatures. He is correct in saying it drops off exponentially.

100 100%
95 66%
90 43%
85 28%
80 18%
75 11%
70 7%

I think you're overcomplicating but have a go and see. Nothing to lose.
Just do some side by sides for comparison and blind tasting if you can arrange it.

pat86 said:
Hi mate, where are you getting 55 & 65C from? I thought most people saw 80C as the low limit for whirlpool and 0 min additions?

In which case, I think to emulate say some of the american or Aus breweries that make good hoppy beers, are you just talking about say doing a 20 min whirlpool at say 90C instead of 're-heating'?

I think a lot of the extraction of flavour and aroma decreases exponentially after 80C so you really want to be in that 100C - 80C zone and may be missing quite a bit if you are just doing your 0 mins at 65. Happy to be corrected though.
Hey pat86, not sure if i get what you're asking, but i'll give it a shot.

What i'm really trying to do is access the volatile oils in the hops - working on the assumption that that's where most of the flavour (and aroma) contribution comes from. I don't really care about the alpha-acids. That 80°C limit you mention relates to solely alpha-acid isomerisation (as danestead reports above - great figures, btw danestead!).
I'm also assuming the AAs (& similar constituents) contribute nothing but bitterness, which i'm not fussed about at the moment.
Extraction of the hops oils are generally reported as occurring quite quickly, and should easily occur at low temps, given we dry hop at 4-22°C.
However, the majority of the volatile oils are volatized at ~62-75°C - which means they evaporate rapidly at the 80-100°C range (& you get more bitterness contribution as well).
On the other hand, the hops oils should need to be bound to compounds in the wort to produce the flavour impact i'm after. The chemical reactions to do this would increase with temperature. So that 80-100°C range is more favourable for that (even though i'm rapidly losing oils at the same time). I'd suspect that these chemical reactions occur much faster/better at 100°C over ~20mins ... hence the "flavour" additions are typically said to be at 20mins in the boil.

So, the whirlpool addition i do is at 65°C to avoid volatizing off my precious oils. These low temps unfortunately would slow down the chemical reactions that should be binding the oils into the wort constituents, so i've previously compensated for that by letting it stand for roughly 40mins - it can be longer, given i'm not really losing too many oils and the isomerisation of AAs is negligible, but 40mins is what i've done up to now.

My concern was that the chemical reactions required to bind the oils into the wort (i.e.: the flavour effect) might not be occurring anywhere near enough at these lower temps. So i wanted to re-introduce the heat needed to catalyse these required reactions, while still retaining the oils in the wort.
Switching the heating element back on while the wort is ~65°C should cause the wort across the surface of the heating element to hit 100°C, but as the vapour bubbles form and rise, they collapse back into the cooler wort, hence i can get my reactions without volatizing off the oils.

FWIW, part of the beauty of cube hopping should be that it intrinsically does what i'm trying to achieve - the wort is at a high temp and the hops oils are unable to volatile off because it's all in a sealed vessel.
Maybe i should just cube-hop my brews!
(I want to try to control the bitterness more so i'm not yet resigning myself to cube-hopping)

manticle said:
I think you're overcomplicating but have a go and see. Nothing to lose.
Just do some side by sides for comparison and blind tasting if you can arrange it.
Naahh, surely i'm not overcomplicating something. I never do that :unsure: :)
I don't really brew enough to organise side-by-sides in the foreseeable future. That's why i was throwing this idea out there to see if anyone had experimented with this kind of sub-volatile re-boiling.

I can't say that I can see any great benefit from turning the heat back on, unless you have something other than speculation to base your assumption that you need the wort at or above a certain temp to get the compounds you're seeking. Personally I'd be looking at adding a pressure cooker type hop back to my re circulation system

Mind you, you may just have stumbled on the holy grail

Yep. Pure speculation at this point.
I need to chase down the chemistry of converting hops oils (etc) to the appropriate flavour compounds.
(I was hoping someone would know the chemistry and post it)
My big concern is that they seem to need ~20mins at 100*C to form. I can't see how to do that without losing a huge amount of the hops oils in the process - except via what I outlined above.
A pressure cooker could be a good idea actually - maybe do something like an Argon method mini boil with minimal headspace. I'm guessing you'll get too much poly phenol extraction as the super high temps break down the cellular structure of the hops. But who knows?! I

Latest posts

Back