Possible To Reuse Commercial Screwtop Stubbies/tallies?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
Is it possible to reuse the commercial screwtop bottles? or would there be issues with sealing?

A lot of people re-use them. Probably advisable to use a bench capper and the glass is thinner than crown seal longnecks generally so take extra care not to get bottle bombs.

Hi mate

thats all i ever used when i used to bottle however that was several years ago so not sure if the bottles have changed in any way but i wouldnt have thought so

Cheers
matt

I have about 80 screw top tallies and no problems yet. As said you need a bench capper and they are easier to break (knocked a few on taps and they break easy) but just be careful with them and make sure your brew is fully fermented and use the right amount of sugar in the bottles you shouldn't have a problem.

For a while I used screw tops, and just re-screwed the same caps back on.

Immaculate sanitation is essesntial, of course.

Is it possible to reuse the commercial screwtop bottles? or would there be issues with sealing?
They're fine to use and there should be no issues with sealing when capped correctly - as others have suggested using a bench-capper would be best.
Some people turn their bottles (say 90 or 180 degrees) and then apply the capper again in order to ensure that the seal is done well, but I have not found that this is necessary for the capper I use even when using screwtop bottles.

one thing to look out for is glass chiping on the lip of the bottle, have noticed this once or twice when siping straight from the stubbie that the lip was sharp. I still use screw tops (when i run out of other bottles) but I'm a little more careful when washing to check for any signs of damage.

+1 bench caper though the 2 handed one should work fine 2 if your careful (used to use a hammer on caper years ago for screwtops worked ok untill i broke a bottle... beer everywhere)

Hi there,
I also have had no problem re-using glass stubbies if possible though try and use all
the same brand or at least height as it becomes a pain re-adjusting bench capper while
bottling each time. happy bottling

yeah thats a good point beer me up, I usually stack them by height so if I do have different heights I only need to change it once

Ok so it is fine to use commercial screwtops, just reuse the caps that came with them? Also is a regular sanitizion technique alright to use with them or do I have to do something extra?

I've never heard of reusing the caps - just buy a bag of new caps. They're inexpensive. You'll find them at the supermarket or wherever you buy your supplies or at the sponsors shown above.

The type of bottle you use makes no difference to your sanitation regime...

sap.

If you compare a crown seal bottle such as a new Coopers or an old Mr Fourex one, with a typical current tallie such as Tooheys New, the new ones are way way thinner and lighter, I wouldn't use a hand hammer capper on them, and apparently the double lever cappers don't work because there's nothing for them to grip onto. +1 re the bottle bombs, I wouldn't trust them if there's any possibility of over carbing a particular brew.

Edit splellgn

I have a supply of coopers bottles and screw top lids and all I do is screw the lids back on again each time. No bench capper is required. I lose maybe 1 bottle per 1000 to undercarbonation and have never had a bottle infection. If it looks like there's crap on the lid I just throw it out and I clean the lids and bottles with sodium percarbonate before bottling (which I thought until a couple of days ago was a sanitizer). It seems it's not actually a sanitizer from what I've read on here but the instructions on the back of the brewcraft satchets seemed to indicate that it was and led me up the garden path but that's another story and slightly OT.

I use a teatowel to screw them back on and you'll feel if the lid is slightly bent out of shape so ditch these. Tip the bottle upside down after sealing and you'll also see if it leaks pretty quickly. Obviously if you've used an opener to get the lids off you can't reuse with this method. I have a supply of about 250 bottles and caps that I keep reusing. I try to buy a new carton every 6 months or so to keep refreshing my supply.

Some brands work better than others. Coopers, boags, bitburger and the cheap aldi brand lager work well. I find some of the megaswill bottles, VB etc don't work, but who'd buy them anyway... Try to use the same brand bottle with the same brand lid but I've even used coopers bottles with boags lids sometimes with success. When I'm trying a new brand I test a couple of bottles at the end of a batch done with bottles I know work so that way I'm not risking a whole batch.

I find this much easier than a capper, the only equipment required is a tea towel. Flame suit on... I've done this for years and personally can't see the benefit in using a capper when this method is so simple.

Caps are cheap and the easiest way to keep away from infection once sanitised.

A Bench capper is a one of purchase that will last you years and years and you'll most likely pass it down to the next generation. (Dont use the hammer capper........I also learnt the hard way......BANG)

Ive had the same 100+ bottles, Tooheys NEW glass screw tops for over 5 years. Ive had ZERO bombs, touch wood, just make sure the ferment has truly finished. And flatties havent been an issue.

Happy Brewing!!!!!

I have a supply of coopers bottles and screw top lids and all I do is screw the lids back on again each time. No bench capper is required. I lose maybe 1 bottle per 1000 to undercarbonation and have never had a bottle infection. If it looks like there's crap on the lid I just throw it out and I clean the lids and bottles with sodium percarbonate before bottling (which I thought until a couple of days ago was a sanitizer). It seems it's not actually a sanitizer from what I've read on here but the instructions on the back of the brewcraft satchets seemed to indicate that it was and led me up the garden path but that's another story and slightly OT.

I use a teatowel to screw them back on and you'll feel if the lid is slightly bent out of shape so ditch these. Tip the bottle upside down after sealing and you'll also see if it leaks pretty quickly. Obviously if you've used an opener to get the lids off you can't reuse with this method. I have a supply of about 250 bottles and caps that I keep reusing. I try to buy a new carton every 6 months or so to keep refreshing my supply.

I find this much easier than a capper, the only equipment required is a tea towel. Flame suit on... I've done this for years and personally can't see the benefit in using a capper when this method is so simple.

+1 to everything this guy just said.

I get lots of bottle caps from work when we have knock off drinks so don't run out as I found they can only be rescrewed on about 2-3 times before then get a little misshapen.

I would of thought screwing a lid back on would be slower then capping it with a new one. I myself haven't tried it and prob wont but cant argue with the facts lol each to there own I say

Back