Porter Grainbill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recipe looks pretty good. In line with the others, i'd drop the biscuit, throw in some amber, and slightly increase the choc malt. Personally i'd stay away from the roast barley as i find it creates too much of a burnt taste for a porter. I like my porters choc tasting though. I also prefer an irish yeast as has a lower attentuation and the residual sweetness sits nicely with the choc malt.
My favourite porter consists of base malt, 400g of choc, and some crystal malt (i think 150g or so) , simple but elegant.
I also think your bitterness is a bit high, i'm calculating 41 IBU's which i think is about 10 too high.

I used Fawcett's Pale Choc. in my latest effort. (670EBC). Really nice flavour. Not quite as bitter/acrid as normal choc. I used 700g in a 40 litre batch (see earlier post this thread).

Highly recommended. :)

Colour was spot on for a porter. Black but not opaque. Has very nice ruby/amber highlights as well. I second the idea of no roast barley. Flavour would become too stoutish. IMO a good Porter (like Fuller's) tastes coffee/choc. Roasted but not burnt. If you require extra colour Carafa would be a better option.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
I used Fawcett's Pale Choc. in my latest effort. (670EBC). Really nice flavour. Not quite as bitter/acrid as normal choc. I used 700g in a 40 litre batch (see earlier post this thread).

Highly recommended. :)

Colour was spot on for a porter. Black but not opaque. Has very nice ruby/amber highlights as well. I second the idea of no roast barley. Flavour would become too stoutish. IMO a good Porter (like Fuller's) tastes coffee/choc. Roasted but not burnt. If you require extra colour Carafa would be a better option.

Warren -
[post="60305"][/post]​
I also used this pale choc malt. Deeeeeelicious tasting runnings.

cheers
johnno

jgriffin said:
I also think your bitterness is a bit high, i'm calculating 41 IBU's which i think is about 10 too high.
[post="60301"][/post]​

I used promash with the rager formula and it gave me 34 for that recipe. I will try calculating it with other formulas. Have revised again and this is what I am going with provided I can get all the ingredients. Not sure about the Crystal though, may use more amber and dump the crystal.

Pale 4.5k
Munich 1k
Chocolate .5k
Amber .5k
Crystal 60l .25k
Wheat .25k

Willamette 10g Mash
Goldings 20g 60m
Goldings 20g 45m
Willamette 20g 30m
Willamette 20g 15m
Willamette 10g 0min

Hey JM,

Have you done your 1/3rds Pale, Brown, Amber Porter yet?

I'm hanging out for the results? B)

Warren -

HAHAHAHAHAHA no, not yet--that porter is about 3 weeks away

Gonna do a one kilo of each mash on Wed, I reckon, a pilot brew. Will be sure to do the iodine test and report back. Might do an oven mash to ensure the mash stays at the 62C mark.

JM

Just starting to drink this brew and I am loving it.
Awesome recipe and its variations put together by the members of AHB.
mmmmm just had another taste.

cheers
johnno

Glad to hear you like it Johnno. :)

Mine's still on tap and drinking quite well. :rolleyes:

Got a bit of a sore head from maxing out on it last night though. :blink: Always tend to binge a bit while I'm kegging another batch.

All in the name of research.

I have started drinking mine too. Turned out very nicely indeed. Really strong coffee flavours and nice heavy mouth feel.

Here's what I'll be brewing tomorrow (my first brew in waaaay too long).

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 36.42 L
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 53.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 41.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 47.2 %
1.40 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 22.0 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt (IMC) (11.8 EBC) Grain 15.7 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 7.9 %
0.36 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 5.7 %
0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 1.6 %
28.00 gm Northdown [7.20%] (15 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
10.00 gm Northdown [8.50%] (90 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
20.00 gm Northdown [7.20%] (20 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
28.30 gm Northdown [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 10.0 IBU

Will also be my first brew with my new mash tun. I converted my HLT (stainless 50L pot) to be mash tun; I'll use the kettle as a HLT and Kettle and use spargeless / batchless mashes. If i have to sparge, I will dump the first runnings into a grant.

Any opinions welcome.

Cheers
Boots

jgriffin said:
Recipe looks pretty good. In line with the others, i'd drop the biscuit, throw in some amber, and slightly increase the choc malt. Personally i'd stay away from the roast barley as i find it creates too much of a burnt taste for a porter. I like my porters choc tasting though. I also prefer an irish yeast as has a lower attentuation and the residual sweetness sits nicely with the choc malt.
My favourite porter consists of base malt, 400g of choc, and some crystal malt (i think 150g or so) , simple but elegant.
[post="60301"][/post]​

There you go !

I couldn't make a Porter without a little Roast Barley , all a matter of taste....or perhaps the grain bill?

Batz

Welcome back to brewing, Boots.

At least you should have a few beers to keep you going during the ferment, courtesy of your generous charitable donation to the SA Xmas Charity Case.

Porter lovers, dont forget that the Mash Paddle beer in the 2006 ANAWBS is a robust porter - full details here Lots of quality Porter discussion on that there thread.

Oh you said PORTER. I thought you said Brown Ale :blink: :rolleyes:

My grain bill above was too light in colour to be a porter. Would add more black patent if brewed again - in fact looking at my recipe, i thought i was adding more.. I must have put a typo in doh!!.. Adjusted the hop additions to be a bit later to reflect the change to brown ale.

Hi Batz, I reserve roast barley for stouts and use black malt, choc malt and crystal in porters.

Have to have some way of seperating the cousins!

tdh

I would like to make a porter with ingredients I have, does this recipe look alright or Should I bite the bullet and get some willamette and fuggles???

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 83.3 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 8.3 %
0.40 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.10 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 1.7 %
10.00 gm Chinook [12.10%] (75 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
10.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (75 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
15.00 gm Simcoe [12.00%] (10 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (2 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
4.00 tbsp Coffee (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Cheers, JJ

Looks good to me jimmy. it's not too far from my first porter recipe. For the hops, I'm not an expert but I feel with all the different grains within the brew you could brew it with saaz and it would still come out a cracker.

jimmyjack said:
I would like to make a porter with ingredients I have, does this recipe look alright or Should I bite the bullet and get some willamette and fuggles???

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 83.3 %
0.50 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 8.3 %
0.40 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
0.10 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 1.7 %
10.00 gm Chinook [12.10%] (75 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
10.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (75 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
15.00 gm Simcoe [12.00%] (10 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (2 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
4.00 tbsp Coffee (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Cheers, JJ
[post="110082"][/post]​

Mate,

Brew outside the square :) - i reckon the American hops would go great :super: - I'd back the coffee off to 3 tbsp though, if adding to secondary...

cheers Ross

I like the look of that recipe. And there aren't a massive amount of hops there anyway. The malt and coffee flavours will probably mask the hop flavour a bit so I reckon will turn out great.

Latest posts

Back