Porter Grainbill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jayse said:
Ray_Mills said:
snipped>

>Its one of those beers you have to make to find out.

[post="56504"][/post]​

Houses of the holy
Jayse
[post="56510"][/post]​

Good evening Jayse

Yeah, I agree, as a geologist, those hexagonal basaltic columns on the cover of "Houses of the Holy" were something special, pity about those androgynous nymphs laying all over them getting in the way. PS Ray I'm sure its a great beer, but I just dont like raisins and plums in my beer so I stay away from anything with a shed load of dark crystal. So I am staying in my box, and I aint making it to find out!

warrenlw63 said:
This is grainbill,

5kg Marris Otter 53.2%
2kg JW Dark Munich 21.3%
700g TF Crystal 120-140EBC 7.4%
700g TF Pale Choc 7.4%
700g TF Amber 7.4%
300g TF Brown 3.2%

Warren -
[post="56304"][/post]​

That looks like an awesome combination Warren. Sounds like an excellent brew.
I will have to make that as soon as I can. Probably about 3 weeks from now. I will use Fuggles and goldings though. I havent used Fuggles yet.
I will at the moment use the Whitelabs 007. But hey 3 weeks is a while. I may get the Wyeast 1028. Not sure yet.

cheers
johno

No worries Johnno.

That's about my only complaint with this beer. I didn't use an English ale yeast. I used Wyeast 1056.

Good for APAs etc. Problem is this yeast is a little too neutral and clean for this application and you can bet your bottom dollar it will dry the beer out over time.

Hey Johnno. Be bold and toss in some Target. It's rapidly becoming my bittering hop du choice. Little scary (but not unpleasant) as a late hop too. B)

Warren -

Update;

Porter has been 3 weeks in the keg. What I usually do is start consuming a beer after 4 weeks in the keg. However 3 weeks out I usually try a glass for research purposes. :beerbang:

Summary... Not bad at all. Certainly "robusted" enough for a Robust Porter. Nice mahogany colour with a nice tight, ecru-coloured head and an extremely roasty nose.

Nice, caramel sweetness and coffee flavours with a subtle floral background from the hops. Finish is roasty, hoppy and slightly sweet.

In fact it may be 12.30 am but I might sneak out for another glass to make sure. B)

Thanks for the tips Jayse (and others). Closest I've gotten to what I've wanted in a porter. :super:

Certainly one of the nicer styles.

Warren -

sounds good warren,
i did something fairly similar to yours 6 weeks ago, just getting ready to bottle it:

3.9kg maris otter
600g caramunich II
150g pale choc
150g amber
100g carafa III
80g roast barley

+150g billingtons molasses sugar (like muscavado) in boil.

hopped with 15g SImcoe 60', 25g Fuggles 10'

37 IBU, 1067, FG came out 1015 using Southwold.
so a bit stronger and a bit less roasty than i wanted, but still nice, more an English "old ale" I guess.

i'm thinking of tossing in a capful or two of some laiphroaig i just scored dutyfree when my sister came over from the UK, for a poor man's Emersons Whiskey Porter...

neonmeate said:
i'm thinking of tossing in a capful or two of some laiphroaig i just scored dutyfree when my sister came over from the UK, for a poor man's Emersons Whiskey Porter...
[post="59076"][/post]​

Hoooo! Excellent stuff Neonmeate. :super:

Go for it. Weather's getting perfect for Porter at the moment. Shot of whiskey would make it even more warming. B)

BTW What are Simcoe hops most like? Never heard of them until recently.

Warren -

simcoe is a nice hop, gives clean bitterness - flavourwise kind of like northern brewer - piney, but with a bit of a funny pineapple/lychee flavour. i did an all-simcoe IPA that was pretty good, though lacking something...sure was bitter though.
i like it for bittering cause it's pretty unobtrusive in small amounts, and 100g of the stuff goes a long way.

I havent made a Porter since last year.
I have decided to make this on the weekend after following this thread.
Thanks to everyone that contributed to it and especially warren for brewing it.
Mine is a bit different but hey thats what its all about.

Can't slow down Porter
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 18/05/2005
Style: Robust Porter Brewer: John
Batch Size: 24.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 29.76 L Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 % Equipment:
Actual Efficiency: 12.9 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Ale Malt (Powells Malt) (7.9 EBC) Grain 57.9 %
1.25 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (29.6 EBC) Grain 20.7 %
0.40 kg Amber (Thomas Fawcett) (100.0 EBC) Grain 6.6 %
0.40 kg Pale Chocolate (Thomas Fawcett) (525.0 EBC) Grain 6.6 %
0.35 kg Ctrystal Malt Thomas Fawcett (120.0 EBC) Grain 5.8 %
0.15 kg Brown Malt (Thomas fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 2.5 %
56.00 gm Fuggles [3.80%] (60 min) Hops 22.2 IBU
24.00 gm Fuggles [3.80%] (30 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.050 SG (1.050-1.065 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.012-1.016 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 52.5 EBC (59.1-118.2 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 29.5 IBU (25.0-45.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.7 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.0 % (4.8-6.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.6 %
Actual Calories: 90 cal/l

cheers
johnno

Just pitched the yeast for my version (sse above) of this tasty sounding drink.
OG 1046.
23 litres. Yum.

cheers
johnno

Nice to see some amber and brown malt in there.

I am looking to brew a porter 1/3 pale, amber and brown. Can't be done,I am thinking of ways to do it, incl adding dry enzyme to the mash and home toasting pale amber malt

Jovial Monk

JM,
Why can't it be done? Just mash cool (61-63) and for longer (overnight).
So long as enzymes are not inactivated they will keep on going for quite a while. High diastase pale ale malts will easily convert that grain bill.
That beer is always going to be "sweet" though.
cheers
darren

Jovial_Monk said:
you reckon, Darren? Do need that cool mash, agreed.

JM
[post="60106"][/post]​

Yep,
Done a few wheats with 60% raw wheat. Enzyme activity is often quoted on temp but time is certainly a big factor.
As you would know most mashes are finished in around 20 minutes. That is alot less than 30% of the 90 minute mashes that most people do.
Also often quoted is the "mash-out", Suggests that enzyme activity is still occuring at the 90 minute mark.
Todays malts are produced to have HUGE diastase activity so the megaboys can finish the process as quickly as possible (probably 30 or less minutes).
30% pale malt will do the job if treated with care.
cheers
Darren

JM,

One idea would be to make the pale malt component Galaxy (If it's still available ?? ). That stuff can convert anything.

Let us all know how you fare. Sounds like an interesting concept. I dare say your finished beer will take some time to round out though.

Warren -

Going to do a robust Porter next weekend. This what I have come up with for a recipe. Any thoughts?

Pale Malt 4.5kg
Munich 1kg
Biscuit .5kg
Chocolate .25kg
CaraPils .25kg

Goldings 25g 60min
Goldings 20g 45min
Willamette 20g 30min
Willamette 20g 15min
Willamette 10g 0min
Willamette 10 mash

London Ale Yeast III

Aaron said:
Going to do a robust Porter next weekend. This what I have come up with for a recipe. Any thoughts?

Pale Malt 4.5kg
Munich 1kg
Biscuit .5kg
Chocolate .25kg
CaraPils .25kg

London Ale Yeast III
[post="60226"][/post]​

Aaron,

Looks pretty good save for a couple of points.

Buscuit malt to my knowledge is not available here. Probably better to substitute it for some Amber Malt (preferably English).

Also change the CaraPils for some sort of dark (pref English again) crystal malt.

Other than that enjoy! B)

Warren -

I would increase the chocolate to around 500g and add say 50g roast barley. The suggestion to add amber malt is good. If you want the biscuit toast some pale malt in the oven, about an hour at 90C, stir malt every 15 minutes to prevent grains burning

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
I would increase the chocolate to around 500g and add say 50g roast barley. The suggestion to add amber malt is good. If you want the biscuit toast some pale malt in the oven, about an hour at 90C, stir malt every 15 minutes to prevent grains burning

Jovial Monk
[post="60266"][/post]​

Hi Aaron

If you add roast barley you may find that your porter is like a stout although roast seems to be acceptable in a the robust style.
My opinion would be to drop the carapils and add a touch of black malt to about 1% to 1.2% of the grist, and up the munich if you cant find biscuit malt.
A substitute for biscuit malt can be Wyermann Caraamber I am lead to believe although I have never tried it.
Or more to style would be the english crystal as Warren has already said.
I add about 4% torrified wheat to my robust porter and it gives it a head like an angry mother in law without influencing the flavour against the darker grains.
Grab the book "designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels if you dont have it, as it is a wealth of knowledge and guidelines on beer styles and recipes.
Good luck with the brew,

Cheers

Thanks for the tips guys. Have dumped the carapils and the biscuit and added:

Amber .5kg
Crystal 60 .25kg
Wheat .25kg

Now to see if I can get it all. I think I am going to have to get a mill and start keeping a stock of things myself.

Latest posts

Back