Going all grain with BIAB Grain questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfc_ozzie

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

Just about to make the leap to BIAB with a crown 40L urn and wanted to buy a good base malt in bulk (25kg) I was looking at this;

Marris otter $85 http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/products/Maris-Otter%252d-25kg.html

or do you think this would be better

Joe White Traditional pale grain $60 http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/products/Traditional-Pale-Grain-%252d-25kg.html

I like to brew IPA's, porters, golden ales, but like variety :)

Which would be better for a newb? i would also like to try a SMASH so I can see what the grain is bringing to the party.

I have space for both I guess but don't think I would use both before they started going bad and mighten be able to stretch the money.

I would say that IPA's are my fav style especially hoppy ones but i would also like to try making an English style IPA also and heard Marris is good for this. Or should i get the pale grain and just buy 5kg of marris for the english IPA?

Anyway my first five brews I was looking at a sierra Nevada cloneish, a English IPA, a hoppier IPA, a porter and a golden ale and if any is left over a small batch SMASH with the grain.

In terms of speciality malts is there any that are more used then others that i could keep a kg or two on hand or just not worth it and just buy what i need for the 5 recipes i come up with per base malt bag i buy (would like to get 5 batches per 25kg sack)

So many questions lol thanks in advance guys/gals :)

Very subjective question, but my 2 cents

I have started using floor malted Marris Otter as a base malt for every brew I do. I brew pale ales, ambers, Browns, reds, porters, stouts. It's a great base malt & I find it adds a slight biscuity flavour to the brew.
I have never tried Joe white pale malt but if it's anything like 2-row or Pilsner malt it won't be overly flavourful.

I haven't done a smash but I think Marris Otter would be a great choice for one

The mo seems expensive to me.. I suspect if you are going to use much crystal, then the joe white will do as the crystal will overbear the base. For an English smash I vote the Maris otter

Drinking a MO based IPA now and very happy with the result. I'm like you in the fact that I'm trying to learn all the flavours of different base malts (and hops and yeasts.....).

I really like the flavour it brings to my beers and find myself fighting the urge not to use it to explore other malts. Looking at what you want to brew I would go MO but look for a better deal as motman points out,

MO is a great base malt for a SMASH.

Was trying to buy local to save on shipping, I'm on the Central coast so kinda limited with where I could get it from, but if anyone knows of somewhere cheaper that's close to the coast I'm all ears

I'll +1 the brewman suggestion. He is located near Raymond Terrace, but if you are just buying a single sack of grain it's likely your local country brewer store would be the cheapest/most convenient..

I've found that Country Brewers are quite competitive with other major suppliers for pickup of a sack or two. For freight Brewman would be perfect for the Central Coast. About 12 clams for a sack IIRC.

Bribie G said:
I've found that Country Brewers are quite competitive with other major suppliers for pickup of a sack or two. For freight Brewman would be perfect for the Central Coast. About 12 clams for a sack IIRC.
yep, its generally when you want yeast, grain by the kg crushed for a recipe, hops etc etc than country brewer are definitely not 'competitive' :)

Brewman is the go. Good prices and unbelievable service. His turnaround is excellent ive had smack packs turn up still cold.

Don't forget a grain mill if you bulk buy grain, Couple of Maxi Pails to store it in will be good as well.

Brewed my first MO the other week and when I kegged it I tasted, and, it tasted very good, one of my best. Cant wait to get it on gas at the weekend.

Lot's of learning but lots of fun as well.

Mill I bought was a cheap one like this and it's perfect:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Barley-Crusher-Malt-All-Grain-Mill-for-Home-Brewing-Monster-Mash-/121707010612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c564d9a34

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Looking at buying some bulk hops from hop dealz australia as they are best for value i can find even with postage added on. Has anyone dealt with them before? As ive really only bought hops from Yakima in the usa or craftbrewer before

I doubt you'll find a bad review of yobs hop deals. Great prices, quick shipping and good service if anything goes wrong..

He just needs to get some more hops up on his site and stop thinking about his upcoming arrival ;)

I'd go the Joe White until you have your processes sorted.
And Yobs hops are the best.

Simmo1972 said:
Don't forget a grain mill if you bulk buy grain, Couple of Maxi Pails to store it in will be good as well.

Brewed my first MO the other week and when I kegged it I tasted, and, it tasted very good, one of my best. Cant wait to get it on gas at the weekend.

Lot's of learning but lots of fun as well.

Mill I bought was a cheap one like this and it's perfect:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Barley-Crusher-Malt-All-Grain-Mill-for-Home-Brewing-Monster-Mash-/121707010612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c564d9a34
I bought this one a few days ago, hopefully it will be a good investment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/381329805700?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Buy 5kg each. Brew same/similar beer and get a feel for what each brings then buy 25 kg based on preference.
Don't trust us, trust yourself.

I love both although my taste for us ipa's is waning. You'll find english ipa's starkly different. I think both (or maybe US) should be recatogorised. Manticle gives good advice. Imo i wouldnt care much for base malt choice with us ipas but english its all about the malt. I suspect (like many) you havent tried many english ipas and may be surprised.

manticle said:
Buy 5kg each. Brew same/similar beer and get a feel for what each brings then buy 25 kg based on preference.
Don't trust us, trust yourself.
+1 Excellent advice

Barley crusher arrived today, never had one before. Is there any tips on adjustments or maintenance I need to do with these?

Love the idea of 5kg of each didn't think of that, would it be possible to do a smash with both of these to get a taste for the base malt?

Back