Portable single keg set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had considered the polystyrene box approach. Was concerned about it not sealing well and the foam being easily damaged.
I can usually get my hands on the occasional box from work, so it might be a goer. Maybe cover the whole thing with contact adhesive for protection?

surly said:
I bought one of these myself and mentioned that it's a nice bit of kit but unfortunately mine doesn't work any more.
The pin that pops the co2 cartridge broke, so it's useless :(

So for now I'm using the co2 charger that i've had for a while.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CO2-Keg-Charger-Kit-with-Gas-Ball-Lock-Disconnect-/320797986393?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item4ab10cce59

I also recently bought one of these to use with a soda stream bottle but haven't used it yet...
http://www.brewmart.com.au/brewmart-shop/catalogue/?detail&ItemID=3039&SZIDX=0&CCODE=16530&QOH=5&CATID=249&CLN=1

They have a nice little setup at the above shop for 6 and 9 litre kegs but I'm not sure for how long that bag would keep the keg cold.
http://www.brewmart.com.au/brewmart-shop/catalogue/?detail&ItemID=3946&SZIDX=0&CCODE=16466&QOH=0&CATID=248&CLN=1

surly said:
Hey, have you used one of these before? I am curious about how it goes considering there is no beer line. Is the tap flow restricted or something?
Just looks like a standard brumby tap.
I've used that set up quite a while ago and from memory it works fine but you have to turn the pressure down really low.

Or better yet, as you said, use a flow control tap like these nice Perlicks...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-PERLICK-PERL-FLOW-CONTROL-BEER-TAP-HOME-BAR-FORWARD-SEALING-/261259461622?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item3cd44703f6

Be prepared to be horrified if you go to a plumbing shop and ask about the 300mm pvc pipe. I am fairly sure it was over $100.

I ended up traipsing around with my 11L keg to BCF, Bunnings, etc, etc until I found a round cooler which would fit ice on bottom, keg, and then disconnects, CO2 charger, etc with some ice on top to keep the beer line and beer gun cool. My next upgrade will be a mini-regulator as opening the esky to squirt more CO2 in gets old pretty quickly... Would also probably run beer line through the lid and leave gun outside to avoid having to open it each time to get a beer.

Kept my party keg cold for 2 days and we were camping near summer so it was quite hot.

Can't remember who, but someone on here built one from a 100L wheely bin, saves needing to carry it around.

Be prepared to be horrified if you go to a plumbing shop and ask about the 300mm pvc pipe. I am fairly sure it was over $100.
You need to get the 300mmm pipe that is (cough) "surplus to requirements". I'm working up courage to ask the cost of the end caps.
A good option is to look for a large round 'stainless steel' kitchen bin from the $2 shops or Kmart etc. Add a camping mat inside and you should be all tricked out for around $40.

I've got one of those built for bigger parties based on a thread here somewhere. Can carry 2 * 19L kegs + CO2 bottle inside (prevents people messing with it). Didn't bother insulating it as I assumed the 2 kegs would be knocked off at any decent party. Cheapy eBay flow control tap out the front.

it is a pain to fit the bin into a standard sedan. Impossible now with a child and their associated crap in the boot.

Fondly referred to as "Angus' rubbish beer". :D

Perhaps the link Kev is referring to: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/58500-small-wheely-bin-for-portable-keg-system/?hl=%2Bwheely+%2Bbin

The Florian one - anyone got a link? Love this stuff!

In this pic centre stage
o.jpg

This is my rig. It stays cold for a long time but I'd like a flow control tap for it as there is a fair amount of line inside, but it just get coiled around the bottom. Only holds a 9L keg tho.

gallery_651_850_165136.jpg

Nice set up Wort. I was thinking of mounting the tap in a box on top of the lid with just gas and beer line running through the lid so I could still use it as a water cooler. No idea why I would want a water cooler.

Now I wonder if I am just complicating the issue. Whack a shank through the cooler and then I don't have to worry about cooling the box, etc.

yep, at some point I'd like to get a soda-stream bottle and proper reg for it. So many things and so little money... :unsure: :D

Just to throw an alternative out there....

What about utilising the Keg jackets that the sponsors sell?.... only about $25. I have no experience with them though so can't comment on how good they are....

never used a keg jacket so cant comment from experience...but I like the concept and Ithink they would be good if the keg is chilled and you plan on consuming it inside 3 hours, or in cool weather...basically its a big stubbie holder and I can't see it keeping beer cold for long on a warm day ....or even a cold day in Qld....but its should see you right in Tassie at anytime!

Yall getting to fancy.
Hitting the beaches next week for 5 days and the simple solution is those coles/woolies broccoli boxes with a keg in them + ice.
Simply cut a hole for the tap and wrap the beer line around the keg.
Gas bottle sits outside.

I have a normal sized wheelie bin, fits 3 kegs covered with ice and 4th higher up (not too cold for an ESB) with gas bottle and reg inside. Could insulate it if need be.

Latest posts

Back