Popane Equals Lpg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just confirming that the LPG that I get from the local shop is one and the same as the Propane gas my new Rambo burner insists that I use?

Cheers

brewRig_web.jpg

Hi guys,

Just confirming that the LPG that I get from the local shop is one and the same as the Propane gas my new Rambo burner insists that I use?
Cheers
Sorry Put a little pic up of the system, has the quick disconnects now as well!

Hi guys,

Cheers

All good djackal... LPG is fine.

Warren -

LPG literaly stands for Liquid Propane Gas AFAIK.

Liquefied Petroleum Gas, it contains approx 40% Butane in with the Propane.

You will find that a lot of gas equipment is labelled "For use with Propane Gas only", however it is sold for use with LPG. I'm thinking this is because in the US they use propane (or at least, call their LPG propane) and it's not worth changing the labels for Aus.

This doesn't work for natural gas equipment however :D

The Americans use propane only in cold climes as the freezing point is lower. In warmer areas it acutally is a mix of propane and butane but they still call it "propane". It doesn't make much difference as a fuel source. What we call LPG is absolutely what you want.

yep lpg is what you want. incidently, you will find that portable lpg is often (but not always) 100% propane, while auto-lpg is mostly (but again, not always!) the 60/40 mix propane / butane..
confusing huh? :)

It really makes little difference. Propane/butane mixtures up to even fifty-fifty behave so much like pure propane when it comes to designing jets for burners that the engineering calculations often just assume it's pure propane.

It's very analogous to how natural gas / CBM is often treated as being pure methane, despite the fact it's got about 10% (typically) of other stuff in it

It's only trying to use natural gas on LPG equipment or vice versa where you'll run into problems. We dont typically have portable natural gas cylinders in australia (because they need excitingly high pressures), but town gas at least in queensland is all either natural gas or CBM or a mixture of the two

Back