Polyclar Users

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Ive been using Polyclar for the last 5 or so brews now and it works a treat. I dissolve 7gms in 250mls boiling water. Pour into a plastic pet bottle and shake it for 15 minutes to half an hour. I dont stop shaking, the bottle goes everywhere I go :blink: . It gets a bit tedious after a while. I then pour this into the fermenter via the airlock with a funnel. Just wondering how everyone else agitates their polyclar? How much do you use? Do you wait for the water to cool before adding? How long do you agitate for before adding?
Cheers
Steve

Ive been using Polyclar for the last 5 or so brews now and it works a treat. I dissolve 7gms in 250mls boiling water. Pour into a plastic pet bottle and shake it for 15 minutes to half an hour. I dont stop shaking, the bottle goes everywhere I go :blink: . It gets a bit tedious after a while. I then pour this into the fermenter via the airlock with a funnel. Just wondering how everyone else agitates their polyclar? How much do you use? Do you wait for the water to cool before adding? How long do you agitate for before adding?
Cheers
Steve

Aren't you concerned about the oxygen you're introducing? Then again, how much oxygen can 250 ml of water add to 20 litres of beer.... :huh:

Aren't you concerned about the oxygen you're introducing? Then again, how much oxygen can 250 ml of water add to 20 litres of beer.... :huh:

hadnt thought about that newguy...but how else are you meant to agitate it?

The instructions actually say stir! Whoops

Usage instructions:

Add 5 – 10gms polyclar (23L batch) to half a cup of freshly boiled water. (For maximum efficiency the polyclar slurry should be stirred for minimum 15 minutes, preferably 60 minutes & kept agitated until used)

Add slurry to cold conditioning beer. (The colder the beer the better).

Minimum contact time of 5 to 10 minutes is desirable (if filtering), however there is no negative impact on the beer with extended times. If not filtering, leave for 2 to 3 days to settle, then rack off the lees.

I have no idea.....the polyclar I've personally used was a packet of liquid. Didn't know you could buy it dry.

What would happen if you added the polyclar to cool water, then boiled it all? Dump the still hot mixture into the beer. I've used this approach with yeast nutrient on batches that were stuck with no ill effects.

A stirplate for rehydrating would be perfect - my method though is to dissolve it in some near boiling water, stir for a minute every 5 minutes for 15 minutes, then dump it into the CC cube and give the cube a gentle spin to dissolve it. Works fine.

It doesn't dissolve but I also use boiling water in a pyrex bottle and shake for about 1/2 hour then dump into the cube, leave usually over night then filter.
AC

If you find a little PET bottle that's only slightly larger than the volume of your mix (eg a juice bottle), you wouldn't introduce very much oxygen at all.

If you find a little PET bottle that's only slightly larger than the volume of your mix (eg a juice bottle), you wouldn't introduce very much oxygen at all.

good thinking wort...i'll flog one of my sons. :beerbang:

Cheers
Steve

I just bung mine on the stir plate for for 30-40 mins

Batz

I use half a cup of boiled cooled water in a pyrex glass jug and take to it with my stick blender for around 15 minutes. I then add it to the chilled keg, burp and give the keg a good shake to mix. Back in the fridge for 30 minutes, then filter.

Cheers.

Whoops!
I've just been adding the PC dust dry to the secondary cube/fermentor while I'm racking.

It gets a good mix around while the cube is filling, and it seems to have still worked really well to clear the beer.

Considering my success when used dry, I'm not sure if I could be bothered to mix it up as much as is recommended either :eek: :wacko:

Phrak,

Maybe you didn't need to use it in the first place :D

rook

Perhaps you're right! Another way of over-complicating the brewing process :rolleyes:

I put mine on a stir plate for 60 mins.
Before I started selling polyclar myself & getting the correct rehydration proceedures, I used to buy from the local homebrew store, mix with water & pitch straight away, as per their instructions. This works, but if you want maximum efficiency, rehydrate & add to beer that's prechilled as cool as possible.

Cheers Ross

I put mine on a stir plate for 60 mins.
Before I started selling polyclar myself & getting the correct rehydration proceedures, I used to buy from the local homebrew store, mix with water & pitch straight away, as per their instructions. This works, but if you want maximum efficiency, rehydrate & add to beer that's prechilled as cool as possible.

Cheers Ross

ROSS, are you supposed to rehydrate in HOT boiled water or Cooled boiled water?

Cheers
Andrew

Instructions I've read say either,does not matter Andrew

Batz

ROSS, are you supposed to rehydrate in HOT boiled water or Cooled boiled water?

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew, you can rehydrate in either, I'm not sure if hot speeds things up, but guess it may help, even use wort if you like (manufacturer recommends either), the important part is keeping it agitated. I use hot as it's still warm when I'm finished, I then simply pour with a funnel through the airlock & work on the theory that the warm liquid will quickly disperse across the surface & then slowly settle through the wort.

cheers Ross

Thanks Batz and Ross, I will try with the hot water.

Cheers
Andrew

Just a question,

How effective is PC without filtration and just left to settle over a few days and then racking off?

Cheers

BB

Back