Polyclar Users

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after about about 5 min of shaking I got bored and figured 'its plastic, it shouldn't be absorbing at all' so i threw it in, the clumps are gritty, that why I think its the polyclar,
further reading of another polyclar thread since has me thinking more jiggy jiggy needed
cheers

I've never noticed clumps either. My process isn't exactly by the book though. I don't have a stir plate but I wouldn't mind a 2nd hand milkshake maker. Instead I use my electric beater with only one of the two metal whisks to mix the Polyclar and boiled water for about 5 mins. Pour into fermenter as even as practically possible and then stir gently the top couple of inches. Of course all implements are santisied prior.

Reviving the dead, but I'm having zero luck with polyclar. I recently did an Aussie lager (80% grains, 20% sugar) and chilled to 0°C. Then -
  • Mixed 7gm of Polyclar 70/30+ with 100ml of just-boiled water
  • Stir plate for 1h
  • Tipped Polyclar mix in secondary, then racked across
  • Left for 24h at 0°C
I then kegged and bottled a few. It's been in the keg 8 weeks and my pours since are still typical of home brew - minor haze, nothing outstanding. This is the second attempt at it, the first I added through the airlock to the primary (0.5°C at the time) and kegged 2 days later. As far as I'm concerned I have got zero performance out of it. My Polyclar is from Brewman so I'm assuming this is the right product this thread refers to. Any ideas?

I've always done pretty much as you do, but filter after the 24 hrs. They say it's okay to filter 5-10 minutes after but I have plenty of time.
The suggested method for not filtering is to leave 2-3 days

Polyclar PVPP is what is being dicussed here
Polyclar 70/30 is also known as Brewbrite and is a kettle fining made up of carrageenan and modified PVPP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpKsLH62nU#t=27? and I am unaware as to how effective it is as a fining agent in beer as opposed to wort
Polyclar is very effective against chill haze, as has been attested to in this thread. If haze persists, it may be due to permanent haze or poorly flocculating yeast...

Crap, that would answer it. I haven't actually seen that distinction anywhere and every search I do for Polyclar either points to this forum or leads me to a retailer. Not all is lost, I'm running lowish on whirlfloc tablets so there's that sorted. Aaaaand just found a site sponsor who sells PVPP.

I can confirm 70/30 does shit-all to address chill haze.

I'm back.

I now have BrewBrite and 70/30 in stock. This post from MHB contradicts what you're saying Newtown so I'm back to being clueless again. What I CAN see is that BrewBrite is specifically used for late kettle additions to improve wort clarity and prevent chill haze.

Polyclar 70/30+ isn't even available on the Ashland website (manufacturers of Polyclar products). There is however Polyclar Plus 730, which is both similar in naming and describes what MHB says to a tee. It's use is described as per recommendations for PVPP in this thread (which 730 contains).
It's also the method I used when I tried it on my fermented beer, and did not get clear beer as a result.

So what do I actually have in this container marked 70/30+ at home?

TheWiggman said:
So what do I actually have in this container marked 70/30+ at home?
So you got it from me?

Is it the the Polyclear 70/30 +

OK, so I will try to clarify.

Polyclar Brewbrite. This is a blend of PVPP and Carrageenan. This is added to the Kettle within the last 10 minutes of the boil. It is a kettle finning and it replaces the need for say a Whirfloc tablet. It is an off white very fine powder. This product is very good as a kettle finning and also provides for protection against chill and permanent haze in the beer.

Polyclar 70/30+ is a blend of PVPP and Silica Xerogel. It is also referred to as Polyclar Plus 730 - same stuff. This is added after fermentation and as far as I understand is used prior to filtering.

I use Brewbrite in every beer I do. I find the beers usually drop clear, well clear enough me.

I use Polyclar 70/30 only if I really want to polish a beer for a show.

I hope that helps to clarify / clear things up.

So polyclar 730 is really for beer that will be filtered? I use Polyclar VT for fining my beer, it is a coarser grade of PVPP (no silica) which will settle over 3 or so days and therefore doesn't require filtering.

I don't think you have to filter to get some results. I've never tried it without filtering.

For best results then filter, it is what I have always done with it.

Do you chill the beer before adding the Polyclar VT?

Not sure I would want to be drinking the PVPP/silica so filtering is probably the way to go with polyclar 730.

Yes I chill the beer before adding the polyclar VT. Typically I cold crash then add gelatin, wait 2 days add polyclar VT then rack it to keg after 3 days. The colder you get it the better the result.

Yes the same when filtering. If I filter at -1 the beer is absolutely sparkling.

I sometimes add gelatine too during the cold conditioning and I find that improves the clarity of the beer a lot without any filtering.

But these days my normal process is just Brewbrite into the kettle at the end of the boil.

I've done 2 brews now with BrewBrite. I only noticed tonight that my SNPA clone looked quite clear for a beer that hadn't been cold crashed or filtered. Used Denny's Favourite. Early signs are promising.

I love Brewbrite. I've used it about 10 times now and it definitely makes a difference. I've only used Polyclar once but teamed with gelatin it left crystal clear beer.

Back