Polyclar "dust" In Bright Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sink cut

Reaction score
I recently have started using polyclar to clear my beer before kegging. I do not filter my beer and based on Info from various sources you can still get good results using Polyclar without a filter.

I have noticed that the last two times I have used polyclar it works a treat - after a few days the beer is very near bright at 1-2 degrees. My only concern is that if you study the beer VERY closely wtih a bright light behind it you can see what looks like millions of tiny particles.These particles look suspiciously similar to the clould of dust that poofs up out of the Polyclar bag each time I open it.

Just looking at the beer you would think it was crystall clear. You have to really study with a bright backlight it to see this "dust". I have noticed this dust remains even after a couple of weeks of cold storage - untill the beer is all gone. Beer taste and apperance is otherwise excellent.

Has anyone else noticed this? Should we really be using a filter with polyclar? Am I poising my self by drinking copious amounts of plastic dust?

For what beer is the optimum serving temp 1 to 2 degrees? Get your temps realistic and see if you have the same issues present.

Polyclar works best at about one or two degrees above freezing when the haze is at its worst... (doesn't work too well when frozen - you'd be waiting a while for it to drop out...)
However, anyone who drinks beer at 1 or 2 degrees C probably thinks Sizzler, Eagle Boys and Subway are at the very pinnacle of gastronomy.

Oh man. I miss Sizzler.

When I was 12 or whatever one of their soups was the best thing ever.

And that cheese bread!

My point remains that surely chill haze (if present) is going to be lessened at warmer (i.e. better) temps.

Oh man. I miss Sizzler.

When I was 12 or whatever one of their soups was the best thing ever.

And that cheese bread!

My point remains that surely chill haze (if present) is going to be lessened at warmer (i.e. better) temps.
So you're suggesting you think this is chill haze rather than polyclar, and to warm it up to eliminate that from the equation?

I researched this, and polyclar does get absorbed by people - less so through something like beer/wine, but it does occur. But there was nothing definitive to suggest it has negative affects on health. So for me it's just personal reasons that crystal clear beer isn't quite so important that i'm prepared to put more plastic into my body. But as i said, at the levels we use it the research doesn't suggest it's a problem.

(Yet.)

I researched this, and polyclar does get absorbed by people - less so through something like beer/wine, but it does occur. But there was nothing definitive to suggest it has negative affects on health.
(Yet.)

They said the same about DDT, asbestos etc etc.

Batz

So you're suggesting you think this is chill haze rather than polyclar, and to warm it up to eliminate that from the equation?

Not exactly. I'm suggesting he test to see if it is chill haze by warming it up.

it probably just is dust... polyclar and/or otherwise.

Its not going to be chill haze is it?... what, given you have added polyclar to your beer so there wont be any chill haze, and the beer is clear except for the "particles" you can see, which isn't what chill haze looks like.

Just dust - which is going to be in any beer that isn't filtered. If its polyclar dust.. it wont hurt you anyway. If it bugs you, filter - apart from that don't worry about it.

Polyclar works best at about one or two degrees above freezing when the haze is at its worst... (doesn't work too well when frozen - you'd be waiting a while for it to drop out...)
However, anyone who drinks beer at 1 or 2 degrees C probably thinks Sizzler, Eagle Boys and Subway are at the very pinnacle of gastronomy.

Good one guys :rolleyes: . 1-2 degrees is my CC temp. My serving fridge is about 4, meaning in the glass I am looking at 6-8, and yes, same dust present. Its just somthing I did not notice when I used Isinglass finings. I prefer Polyclar because it is easier to use and is odourless.

Polyclar (PVVP) is used in all sorts of stuff like hair conditioners and as a filler in many capsules and tablets precisely because it is neutral to the human body, so no worries about eating some of the stuff. They even made a blood plasma replacement out of it in the Vietanm war IIRC. However I did get a very suspicious haze in a beer where I kegged the first 19L and bottled off the last runnings, it was hazy at all temperatures.

pic 1 = keg, pic2 = a bottle (the soft drink bottle)

Kiwi_Pale__Large_.jpgStarch_haze.JPG
It just stayed like that for a month until I tipped it. Only ever happened the once, and I would guess it was the Polyclar chucking some sort of a wobbly.

While most people on this forum would agree there's no point in consuming synthetic chemicals/products unless it's absolutely necessary (e.g. for medical reasons) there is very little to worry about with PVPP in beer as you've more than likely consumed much greater doses of it as a binder in tablets (as already mentioned) or from chemicals sprayed onto argicultural products you've consumed.

That said I probably wouldn't eat a handful of the stuff as it's likely to glag you up.

We can compare the dangers of PVPP to those of asbestos etc., but during the reign of asbestos as a building product there was already a lot of published literature saying how dangerous it was. I don't see this for PVPP - but am happy to be convinced otherwise if someone else has seen something. And hell anyone who's stood by the side of a road before asbestos brakelining was banned, or changed their own brake pads for that matter is probably in more strife than someone who drinks beer fined with PVPP.

The alcohol will get you before the Polyclar does. :(

Good one guys :rolleyes: . 1-2 degrees is my CC temp. My serving fridge is about 4, meaning in the glass I am looking at 6-8, and yes, same dust present. Its just somthing I did not notice when I used Isinglass finings. I prefer Polyclar because it is easier to use and is odourless.

Polyclar and Isinglass do different things. Polyclar is designed to remove chill haze proteins from the beer where as Isinglass will bind to any small particles of yeast/hop matter etc. to make them heavier and drop out of suspension.

This would be why you didn't notice these particles when you were using Isinglass

We can compare the dangers of PVPP to those of asbestos etc., but during the reign of asbestos as a building product there was already a lot of published literature saying how dangerous it was.

I only used asbestos as an example, and when asbestos was first mined at Wittanoom there was no literature on the dangers of it nor the early days of it as a building product. It was some years later that this became available, and then it was it in US and not Australia. The point I was making is that more often than not we hear about wonderful new products only to find later they are damaging our health, think Teflon perhaps.

Now I imagine PVPP is OK but you never know, I will continue to use it anyway. The 25 years I spent in the mining industry will most probably kill me first.

Batz

Polyclar and Isinglass do different things. Polyclar is designed to remove chill haze proteins from the beer where as Isinglass will bind to any small particles of yeast/hop matter etc. to make them heavier and drop out of suspension.

This would be why you didn't notice these particles when you were using Isinglass

Yes, good point. Even thought they both work for chill haze Isinglass may also clear up these little particles as well. I still prefer polyclar though as I think the beer tastes better andfresher for longer, and with isinglass I notice a slight off flavour.

I am open to believing that this "dust" is present in all unfiltered beer and polyclar just makes it stand out by making the beer clearer.

The dangers of asbestos were suspected a little before that.
From Wiki --
By the first century AD, Greeks and Romans had already observed, at least in passing, that slaves involved in the weaving of asbestos cloth were afflicted with a sickness of the lungs.[31]

I only used asbestos as an example, and when asbestos was first mined at Wittanoom there was no literature on the dangers of it nor the early days of it as a building product. It was some years later that this became available, and then it was it in US and not Australia. The point I was making is that more often than not we hear about wonderful new products only to find later they are damaging our health, think Teflon perhaps.

Now I imagine PVPP is OK but you never know, I will continue to use it anyway. The 25 years I spent in the mining industry will most probably kill me first.

Batz

Yes, good point. Even thought they both work for chill haze Isinglass may also clear up these little particles as well. I still prefer polyclar though as I think the beer tastes better andfresher for longer, and with isinglass I notice a slight off flavour.

I am open to believing that this "dust" is present in all unfiltered beer and polyclar just makes it stand out by making the beer clearer.

Right. Too much misinformation.

Lets clear this up (hahahaha...)

READ THIS.

Just a suggestion; clear some protein stuff up with Irish Moss towards the end of the boil,
Then try clearing your yeast with isinglass (or agar agar if you're brewing for your vegan girlfriend) at the end of fermenting,
Then clear some chill haze out with Polyclar - make the chill haze appear first by cooling, then it'll work..

Rack your beer off the dropped particulate matter (i hope you're doing this!)

Another solution (god, these puns are relentless!) is to cold condition for a few months...

HTH.

Edit; Can't believe I spelled You're: your...

Batz

:icon_offtopic:

Ha yeah, we've all done stuff in the past whether we know it or not that has exposed us to something that **might** kill us - but lets hope there's a few more beers before then... it's kinda interesting that you'd mention asbestos as both it and alcoholic beverages are class 1 carcinogens (the nastiest class) according to the various health departments of Australia. Someone posted a link to a Henry review submission on this forum a while back, which stated that.

In the winery I work at we had some filter pads that said on the packet "asbestos free"... thank god for that!

The dangers of asbestos were suspected a little before that.
From Wiki --
By the first century AD, Greeks and Romans had already observed, at least in passing, that slaves involved in the weaving of asbestos cloth were afflicted with a sickness of the lungs.[31]

Bad luck they didn't observe what was happening to them while they were drinking out of their lead lined tankards hey?
But then they thought they were safe I suppose ;) Add lead to the list, poisoned lots of kids through their pencils as well.

Batz

Back