Polyclar Didn't Work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando

Reaction score
Used it for the first time...it didn't clear the chill haze!

Followed all the directions (I think): added 5 grams to 20L beer (NS Summer Ale) in fermenter during crash chill at 2 degrees.

I put the 5 grams into a small bottle of boiled water (about 200mls) and shook for 15 mins. Then added it through the airlock with funnel - didn't remove lid of fermenter and stir because I read somewhere that don't need to.

Perhaps next time I need to do one or a combination of the following:

1) Add more than 5 grams. Instructions actually say 5-10 grams per 23L batch.
2) Stir/shake mix for longer than 15 mins.
3) Remove fermenter lid and stir into the beer rather than pour in through airlock.

The bottled beer was crystal clear at room temp, but hazed up a lot when chilled.

Any suggestions??

how long did you leave it after the crash chill, i use 10 grams per 23 ltrs and leave for 3-5 days and get no chill haze with extract or
a/g brews.

you sure it's chill haze you're trying to get rid of?

you sure it's chill haze you're trying to get rid of?

Like I said in the post, it's crystal clear at room temp in the bottle, but then cloudy when chilled in the bottle. What else could it be but chill haze?

how long did you leave it after the crash chill, i use 10 grams per 23 ltrs and leave for 3-5 days and get no chill haze with extract or
a/g brews.

I added the 5-6 grams after 24 hrs of chilling so that I added it cold. Then after that I crash chilled for another 3 days.

I really expect that if I add 10 grams I'll get the desired result.

I added the 5-6 grams after 24 hrs of chilling so that I added it cold. Then after that I crash chilled for another 3 days.

I really expect that if I add 10 grams I'll get the desired result.

I still get a slight haze with 5g, but 10g clears up my beers no problem.

Try fining with Gelatin before using polyclar.
This is my method
  1. Crash chill for 24 hours
  2. Gelatin and leave for another 24 hours
  3. Polyclar and leave for another 24 - 48 hours (usually 48 Hours and I only ever use 5 grams per 23 litres)
No problem with chill haze. Polyclar needs the yeast to be out of suspension to work effectively.

Gavo.

I still get a slight haze with 5g, but 10g clears up my beers no problem.

Same here,I use to measure with spoons,way under 10g.
Since I have actually measured it on scales to 10g,no problems.

Try fining with Gelatin before using polyclar.
This is my method
  1. Crash chill for 24 hours
  2. Gelatin and leave for another 24 hours
  3. Polyclar and leave for another 24 - 48 hours (usually 48 Hours and I only ever use 5 grams per 23 litres)
No problem with chill haze. Polyclar needs the yeast to be out of suspension to work effectively.

Gavo.

Gavo,

This sounds like good advice, I'll give it a go.

Using gelatin first, then only 5 grams instead of 10 grams will be a much cheaper method in the long run.

Latest posts

Back