Poly Pipe For Manifold In Mash Tun?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Just throwing a few ideas around in my head (as you do) and was just wondering if anyone had any "yays" or "nays" about using the black poly pipe used in water irrigation systems instead of copper or ss braid. I could knock one of these up in 5 minutes compared to using metal as im pretty challenged when it comes to using tools (dont even own an electric drill) :blink:
Any thoughts? Links?
Cheers
Steve

My concerns with this are that 1) irrigation poly is highly unlikely to be food grade and 2) poly softens considerably when heated, which might cause a problem for flow rates - especially with several kilos of grain and litres of water sitting on top of it.

I'd go for the copper myself. I have thought about using poly for a sparge arm before, but even that I decided against...

i don't think black poly pipe is rated for use with potable water. as such i would be worried about what might leech out of the pipe. i too am tool challenged but you should find the ss braid option very easy to fit.

Thanks T.D. thats good enough for me. Copper it is.
Cheers
Steve

Cheers Roach too! Might just toss a coin between copper and braid and then go find someone to build it :D
Steve

I forgot about the s/s braid option - that would be easier than a copper manifold - very little tool-related activity required. :super:

I'm a useless twat :eek:
and i managed to whip up the S/S braided option in my igloo cooler.
i used my very own screw driver and shifter thingy mejiggy too.

go for it

I'm a fan of SS braid.

MashtunBraid.jpg

SS mesh is even easier, I think. Not necessarily better though.

5.jpg

In the Basic Brewing Vid available from www.basicbrewing.com one of the home brewers uses a PVC manifold. Dead easy and pretty efficient, about to make one (already have SS mesh) out of PVC water pipe, same as used in houses so should be safe.

Screwtop said:
In the Basic Brewing Vid available from www.basicbrewing.com one of the home brewers uses a PVC manifold. Dead easy and pretty efficient, about to make one (already have SS mesh) out of PVC water pipe, same as used in houses so should be safe.
[post="110635"][/post]​
Gave up on braid now use PVC for last 2 AG :) Screwtop you have seen it? simple and it works.

I used half inch copper pipe for my manifold with preformed corners, T pieces etc. to make my manifold. The only tools I used was a hacksaw and a file - sandpaper will also suffice here. As for assembly, my manifold is pieced together by hand forcing the bits together and laying in the bottom of my mash tun. It seems to handle the stirring etc during a mash without falling apart. The beauty of this design is that I can pull it apart for cleaning. The whole lot cost $17.00 from my local hardware. Actually there was also a hammer and a four inch nail used to assist in ensuring two of pieces stay together - bang nail onto intersection and pipe to form a dent (not a hole) that protudes into both pieces.

Steve

sosman - your the reason/inspiration for all these thoughts racing round my head. Found your brewiki site a few weeks ago - excellent site man! Cheers, and cheers everyone else for the ideas! Might go and try and find my screw driver and shifter thingy in the shed on the weekend :D
Steve

stephen said:
Actually there was also a hammer and a four inch nail used to assist in ensuring two of pieces stay together - bang nail onto intersection and pipe to form a dent (not a hole) that protudes into both pieces.
[post="110662"][/post]​
Nice idea. I didn't think of going down that route. I just flared the end of the pipe so they fit snugly in the t pieces. If you have a round mash tun get some annealed copper as it is easy to bend. Building a copper manifold couldn't be easier.

You could also buy, or make, a false bottom. I think Grain and Grape sell them.

If you go down the poly pipe route, make sure you use grade 18 PVC, the local plumbing supply shop told me that this would handle the heat and is food safe.

Been working fine for a coupla years without any heat distortion problems.

Apparently the lower grades have a higher lead content.

can view a pic at the following link

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...8&hl=mash&st=30

Cheers,

Crispy

ive been using a 15mm pvc manifold for 12mths. its ok, but it does get soft & floats a bit, due to the small piece of reinforced vinyl hose that connects it to the bulkhead fitting. dont know what grade, but was from the plumbing area of bunnys. i had some pics posted last year but u can search for them :)

Hey,
I would like to add a data point. Make sure those push-in fittings are nice and tight. I pumped about a kilo of mash into my last brew before I realised the fittings had come apart. Spent the next half hour scooping the boil with a sieve. Immediatelt after the tun was cleand I just hit the fittings on the ground (half in anger). They are nice and snug now.

cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back