Poll: Isb December Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• Philip's place in Croydon Park

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trev's place down the "shire"

• Other - please advise

• Total voters
Thanks everyone for a smooth running day - going through 42kg of grain, using 700 odd grams of hops and getting 11 cubes of wort is some achievement!

Ok the war is on! did you you do one or two boils? Stay tuned for the Sandgropers next attempt we will not be outdone

PS Looks like we should have patented the multi mash tun process :p

Phil, where's the money shot? You know the one with the 11 cubes full of wort...

Ben,

I've been having issues attempting to upload em to the gallery & can't upload to here either. I think it is something to do with the work firewall & haven't had time @ home to try it. :( :angry:

i'll send em to the group email & ask one of the other members if they can get the pics to post.

AusDB, we did a parti-gyle brew, the 1st runnings were used for an APA & the 2nd runnings for a Golden Ale style. One mash, 2 brews.

crozdog

Ok the war is on! did you you do one or two boils? Stay tuned for the Sandgropers next attempt we will not be outdone

Bring it on... single bag brewdays are pretty easy to outdo :ph34r:

We had a 60L or so boil for 1080 wort at 80IBU (IIPA), then a 120L boil for 1045 wort at 25IBU or so (Golden Ale). I think if we'd targeted a little less of a high OG on the first batch or diluted it we could have got lots more too!

Yep, a bit of a stuff up on the volume of the IIPA which was meant to be a simple one I AIPA. Sorry about that, Ben. :( I'll sling you a six pack of the IIIIIIIIIIIPA when it's ready. :D

Ah yes, East vs. West the great philosophical battle, bring back the wall I say.

If Phil gets his way and we get that micro on ebay we'll be UNBEATABLE!!!

Just a quick reply on progress.

Pitched the Goldy on Sunday night and was firing on Monday at probably a little too high temps of around 21/22 with the Coopers Pale yeast but got it down to about 18 on Monday night. Thurs. it's at 1010 already and pretty much done.
Not sure what to do with this one next. I'll see how I'm travelling on the weekend.

Gents, I am impressed.
Kegged the Goldy this evening after bring it down to about 3 deg. in the primary (didn't want to risk a secondary after recent infection issues). I haven't wanted to drink as much straight from the fermenter as I did tonight. A good combination of those fresh Amarillo's and the Coopers Pale yeast has done very well I think (with the POR kicking at the back end........... yes I've checked the recipe.......... you'll tell me you did something different on the day though right!!!!!!!).

I'm hitting the road back to the motherload this Wed. back to Adelaide so I'll see you's all in the new year (around mid-Jan I think). Looking forward to hitting the goldy up then.

Cheerios, Gav.

Have a safe trip Gav. just kegged my ipa. used us56 & it finished about 1010. will taste it tmw night, thou it was pretty strong going in ! :)

My version of the IIPA is all bottled, since i only seemed to get about 7 litres of it i diluted it to about 1038 OG, added some dextrose and a bit of extra B Saaz and Amarillo. Tasted pretty good, might be a tad bitter for the OG though.

And yes Gav, we used Pride Plus for bittering only, in the Golden Ale i did you can hardly taste it, it's actually quite a clean bittering hop, just happens to have that particular Aussie flavour.

WOW, the ipa is tasting pretty good ! I thought it would be really strong but the 5l dilution is spot on. very sessionable ! hopefully the keg will make it past xmas !

did a little critters today, so should be a good ny keg ;-)

OK Guys,

I am now nearly kitted up. Have just got a Mulino Marga Mill so that DJR doesn't have to crush my grain anymore, although he still stores my wort cubes!

I now seem to have inspired my uncle to do some brewing so I am planning a session in February sometime. I'll see if he is interested in coming along to the next brew day.

Anyway, I have looked around in the East for one of those 100 can collapsible coolers and still cannot seem to find one. Yeah, you can't get everything from Bondi Junction (thanks for your tip DJR, but none of Kmart, Big W or Woolworths have them). If any of you know where else they are available it would be appreciated - I am a bit over doing the 5 hour round trip to multiple Sydney shopping centres on the rare Saturday I have free.

Merry Christmas everyone

OK Guys,

I am now nearly kitted up. Have just got a Mulino Marga Mill so that DJR doesn't have to crush my grain anymore, although he still stores my wort cubes!

I now seem to have inspired my uncle to do some brewing so I am planning a session in February sometime. I'll see if he is interested in coming along to the next brew day.

Anyway, I have looked around in the East for one of those 100 can collapsible coolers and still cannot seem to find one. Yeah, you can't get everything from Bondi Junction (thanks for your tip DJR, but none of Kmart, Big W or Woolworths have them). If any of you know where else they are available it would be appreciated - I am a bit over doing the 5 hour round trip to multiple Sydney shopping centres on the rare Saturday I have free.

Merry Christmas everyone

Tried Kmart Broadway? I go there a bit i'll have a look for you and at Kmart Eastgardens if i can get over there.

Come and pick up your cube or else i'm putting it on :lol:

Good to hear the IIPA is going good, my diluted one is almost ready to drink but tasted maybe a bit too bitter for the amount of body i ended up with after diluting it pretty much 100%.

Any ideas for the next meet? I think Mike was planning on doing something in Jan?

I saw them at the Kmart in Eastgardens (Cnr Bunnerong Rd & Wentworth Ave Pagewood.) but that was a few months ago, what they do have is round 30L coolers that would make good mash tuns and look like kegs.

BTW- Perhaps too hot to brew in Jan, but we could put on a club Barley wine or something, or get together for a BBQ and some beer tasting at my place, I should be back in Sydney around the 8th so some time after that would be cool.

we could put on a club Barley wine or something,
That'd be way cool. A few of the guys on AHB did one earlier this year I believe, but I haven't heard how it turned out. From memory they scored an oak barrel & after everyone had fermented their brew they were aging it in the barrel. I know HBW.com was involved. Maybe we could ask him about it.

get together for a BBQ and some beer tasting at my place
No issue with that, but as an alternative we could meet at the Australian/Squires/Macquarie/Lord Nelson or some other pub that sells good beer. just a thought.

beers

Philip

I'm for a barley wine - maybe an Xmas 07 or 08 special? Has anyone got a decent cellar? There is a fish & chip ship down in the nether regions of the South Coast where we have a holiday house selling Californian hogsheads - might be a little too big?!

DJR - I'll be there tomorrow night so keep your nasty mitts off it. My 6% red ale is now in season and although a little bitter, is tasting pretty good. I will try to remember to bring some around.

A friend just recently offered me the use of the space under their house. Perhaps not ideal cellar conditions, but it's got a cement floor and it looks like it'll stay reasonably cool. All we need is the wooden barrel. ;)

A friend just recently offered me the use of the space under their house. Perhaps not ideal cellar conditions, but it's got a cement floor and it looks like it'll stay reasonably cool. All we need is the wooden barrel. ;)

that is really cheap for a working intact barrel!

sounds like it could be a goer......

I'm in. Happy to put up money for it. We should find out how long it has been used to store the rum. The longer the better - just so the Californian oak does not overpower the beer.

im in a well. looking forward to seeing you all again

Back