Politics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to post this because good memories. Rarely have I seen a bloke want to punch a bloke so much.

http://youtu.be/kXdcS_7CA1o

labels said:
My local area. One school had a new school hall but it's gone, They've just knocked down the school. Didn't get a lot of use. Second case, a local junior primary had a lot of upgrading and new fences and stuff. That's due to be shut down shortly.

See, the problem is the BER was a federal scheme but schools are run by the state government, not the private ones obviously but, the state government would have known these schools were on the cards long before they spent the money and still let it go ahead. It is absolute total disregard for tax payers money, state government keeping secret about these closures for political reasons knowing that the millions spent was going to trashed within a couple of years. It's sad really, very very sad.

Taxes, easy come, easy go, it's just cheap money to them.
It wasn't just one school.
I noticed a number of schools in the area that were closed making way for the new super school at Northfield, had recently received BER buildings.
As you said, they would have known.

Phil Mud said:
@GuyQLD - thanks for fleshing out your comment. Helps that I agree with everything you said, but still...

How about a more positive note? Current/recent pollies you admire?

Me: I like pollies who have a whiff of courage about them. In particular ones who'll cross the floor (so, none from the ALP - one of my main gripes with the party). Petro Georgiou (spelling?) is one, even old Bananaby Joyce is another. I've also admired Oakschott and Windsor this term, I think they'll both leave parliament with a clear conscience, and will feel as though they made the most of the opportunity they were given. I realise not everyone (especially their constituents) would agree. I also like Nick Xenaphon, and while I disagree with almost all of his politics, Steve Fielding impressed me with the conviction of his beliefs.

While he's a mad old homophobic dick, I also get the sense that Bob Katter believes what he says. Sometimes that's a very rare thing in politics.
If you are impressed by anyone in the 21st century that believes that the earth is 6000 years old, well, you are easily impressed. Regardless of his conviction.

Hmm, well, I hadn't heard that particular belief of his and I'm inclined to agree, not so impressive. Mind you, it can't be easy to believe such utter horse shit in the face of such overwhelming science!!

Prof. Dawkins being very polite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSqzyLIBEug

Hey, at least QLD gets Segways this Thursday.
Bread and circuses.

Interesting to see that the law refers to only the brand "Segway" as being legal. What's the bet that an LNP party member or donator owns the rights to QLD distribution?
Even more interesting that my day has been spent trying to find out under what act the penalties will be assessed.
QPS doesn't know, DTMR Policy doesn't know, and they sure as hell aren't classed as bikes.

Clutch said:
Hey, at least QLD gets Segways this Thursday.
Bread and circuses.

Interesting to see that the law refers to only the brand "Segway" as being legal. What's the bet that an LNP party member or donator owns the rights to QLD distribution?
Even more interesting that my day has been spent trying to find out under what act the penalties will be assessed.
QPS doesn't know, DTMR Policy doesn't know, and they sure as hell aren't classed as bikes.
PM me and all will be revealed. I can also categorically state that no member of any political persuasion has distribution rights and unless you can point to anything other than a deplorable generalisation your comment shows your lack of any knowledge of modern day political process. Do you really think that something that obvious wouldn't be found out? Gordon Nuttall, NSW Labor, local government and a significant number of Unions are the exceptions.

Rowy said:
PM me and all will be revealed. I can also categorically state that no member of any political persuasion has distribution rights and unless you can point to anything other than a deplorable generalisation your comment shows your lack of any knowledge of modern day political process. Do you really think that something that obvious wouldn't be found out? Gordon Nuttall, NSW Labor, local government and a significant number of Unions are the exceptions.
Well come on, dazzle us with your all-knowing insight?

The act is the Transport operations Road Use Management Act commonly known as the TORUMS. The way Transport legislation of this nature is written, if you wanted to corrupt the process, you would have to involve a minimum of about 30 people across two government depts (QPS & DTMR) most of whom you have never met to keep your secret. A good proportion of these people at the time were about to lose their jobs and knew it therefore they would have loved to shaft said politician. Not saying i agree with the decision. I was at the time and still am strongly against it. Wait till the first elderley lady gets hit and breaks a hip or dies and we'll see how good an idea it is then. Pretty much everything you have read in the Courier Mail about this is true and doesn't that make a change.

I do enjoy watching segway crash videos on youtube, so maybe I'll get some first hand entertainment.

There is also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPGUIpv-JxI

Rowy said:
Pretty much everything you have read in the Courier Mail about this is true and doesn't that make a change.
Spitting a massive mouthful of beer out at that one......What? How much has QLD changed in a year and a half since I left?

jlm said:
Spitting a massive mouthful of beer out at that one......What? How much has QLD changed in a year and a half since I left?
Not much jlm but they must have tripped over this one and found that they didn't even have to change anything to make it sound worse than it was. You people getting any of that Melbourne heat there at the moment?

Rowy said:
Not much jlm but they must have tripped over this one and found that they didn't even have to change anything to make it sound worse than it was. You people getting any of that Melbourne heat there at the moment?
I haven't even heard about this segway thing yet.....Normally my old man would be all over it and letting me know. As for the heat......If it weren't for the fact trout season opens again this weekend I'd be looking forward to getting back to my job on an island in the middle of the Bass Strait which has been serving as my warm winter getaway. Hasn't been all that bad though.

Hopefully this famous QLD'er is banned from the things:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rowy said:
The act is the Transport operations Road Use Management Act commonly known as the TORUMS. The way Transport legislation of this nature is written, if you wanted to corrupt the process, you would have to involve a minimum of about 30 people across two government depts (QPS & DTMR) most of whom you have never met to keep your secret. A good proportion of these people at the time were about to lose their jobs and knew it therefore they would have loved to shaft said politician. Not saying i agree with the decision. I was at the time and still am strongly against it. Wait till the first elderley lady gets hit and breaks a hip or dies and we'll see how good an idea it is then. Pretty much everything you have read in the Courier Mail about this is true and doesn't that make a change.
Who said anything about the process being corrupted?
I'm talking about a single letter to the LNP being the catalyst for these ridiculous machines to be used in QLD.
Looks like the guys who import the Taipan SX7 are getting shafted by it being Segway branded PMD's only.

Latest posts

Back